Airport extreme + PSP- Just dosn't work...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AlmightyG5, Jul 27, 2005.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

I updated my PSP which now has a web browser. But i cant connect to my Aiport! I have a Password for the base station and i'm not disabling it. When i set up my PSP network it sees my airport signal and then askes for the WEP key. It's 10 digits and i tryed entering the letters in in caps and lowercase. When i finish the setup and test the connection it says connection error. I Need help!

2. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Your best bet is to temporarily disable security on it and then see what happens.

4. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that and it works...but i need to have it stay with a password...

5. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Well if it works that way then the problem is on the PSP. Check what security standards it uses. If you can switch between WEP and WPA then try that. I don't have an Airport extreme so I dont know what it supports.

6. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I found this: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/03/26/141241.php

"I learned over at Gaming-Age that I could get away with a 13 character WEP Key. Once you set your WEP key and update your AirPort you can setup your PSP. Now just setup your PSP for Wi-Fi Infrastructure mode:"

Does this guy mean the word password that you type in to connect is 13 characters long...or the actual hexadecimal WEP key is 13 characters long?

I cant get my hex. WEP key past 10 characters long with 40 WEP key and 128 is way longer than 13 characters...

7. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. cubist macrumors 68020

I ran into this too, the help file says nothing about how to construct the WEP key, just that it must be exactly 13 characters.

But the key is not the same as the password. The password means a closed net.

I echo the suggestion of the previous poster, run without security first and see whether everything works. Then start googling to find out the format of the key string. (I just left mine open.)

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I use my PSP via AE with WEP at home. IIRC, I opened the Airport Admin utility and there was some drop down in the Apple menu that gave me the hex equivalent of my WEP password. That is what you need to enter in your PSP. I had to do this when I connected my wife's XP laptop to our wireless, too. The Airport Admin gave me the equivalent 26 character hex key, and worked fine.

As you can probably tell from reading this post, I'm no networking guru. If I can make it work, pretty much anyone with a pulse can figure it out. :)

10. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have took off the password and it worked..but i need to keep the password on. Powermac666, I'm guessing you have a 128 bit WEP key instead of 40. Because 40 gives you 10 digits and 128 must give you 26..i'll try the 128 bit WEP key now. But the guy on that site made his Hex WEP key 13...how did he get 13?

11. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

i cant get it to work. I tried the hexadecimal 128 bit password, the hexidecimal 40-bit password. Chnged my password to 13 characters in 128- bit so i could try the ASCII password format...didn't work. also tryed the ASCII format in 40-bit...nothing. I'm so mad that i can't connect!

12. gsnyder macrumors newbie

*moving this to its own thread so I don't hijack this one*

13. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I am replying via PSP and arpt ext

Check Password Panel

14. techgeek macrumors member

Unfortunatly I don't have a PSP to try this out on (still not for sale here grrr).
    A few suggestions for you:
    1. The "password" is not a standard thing. Each manufacturer calculates the hex key differently based on the password so you can't just enter that.
    2. Make sure the Airport and the PSP are set to the same security scheme (WEP 40, 128 or WPA).
    3. Get the hex key from the airport - not got a Mac handy to figure out how to do this - sorry.
    4. Find out what hex format the PSP is expecting. It could be leading 0x a trailing H or even a # sign and use that.

Hope some of this helps.

15. tomacintosh macrumors regular

I'm in exactly the same boat, Airport Admin Utility doesnt work cos I'm using the internal Airport card to share the net with my PSP. I've put a 13 digit 128bit password in, put the same password in the PSP and it refuses to work. I don't know how I can find the real key so to speak, any ideas?

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is there a way to get the MAC address of the PSP? If so, how bad would it be if your network was open, but limited to pre-specified MACs -- i.e. your Macs and your PSP? I know that's not as good as WPA2.... but maybe an easy compromise?

17. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I did this awhile ago.. Same prob..
    Here is the guide that helped me

Attached Files:

18. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Part 2..

Attached Files:

19. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Part 3...

Attached Files:

20. oqion macrumors newbie

How to solve the problem

Your PSP should be fully able to handle the Airport in any mode. (as long as you have the latest update and you haven't hacked it)

Search for the network:

You should find it ok, no one seems to have trouble at this stage.

Security:

take what it sets, which is probably WPA-PSK (TKIP)

WPA Key:

This is where the problem comes in. Open the Airport Utility. Select continue until it is showing the network password looking something like *****.

Note here there are 2 passwords, one for the Airport, and one for the network it creates. You want to be on the page showing the network password. Its called "Wireless Password" you will have to click "continue" 3 times to get to the page with the Wireless Password.

Don't bother changing it, that won't do anything.

Instead go to the "Base Station" menu, and select "Equivalent Network Password". It's long right, really freaking long right. Unfortunately this is the WAP Key. You have to type the whole thing into the PSP. It would be nice if Sony had simply used the simple password conversion that Apple and -now- everyone else is using, but they didn't. So type in all 13 to 40 characters all of which will be between 0 (Zero) and F. Thats: 0123456789ABCDEF

That should do it. Have fun.

21. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

thank the lords of cobalt. good god, finally, my PSP is connected again. TY for the internet Al Gore!

22. jayelle macrumors newbie

PSP Connection to Airport Extreme

WPA Key: I can't get into utility

This is where the problem comes in. Open the Airport Utility. Select continue until it is showing the network password looking something like *****.

My password is empty and won't accept my password from the key chain so I cannot get into the utility.

23. leo reutov macrumors newbie

:mad: sup ppls just joined i have a mac:apple: router:apple: (airport extreme base station)
    and i got a psp i connected everything but when i go no my psp internet i login
    it says loging in then exchanging information it keeps on doing that i really need help im soooo
    freaking FRUSTRATED iv been at it for 5 days already :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::eek:

24. skorpien macrumors 68020

What security settings are you using? What exactly have you tried? And have you read and followed this thread?