Airport Extreme Query.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by psycho bob, Nov 18, 2003.

1. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Recently installed an airport base station to link a number of macs and wintel machines. The base station is linked to a cable modem and a router. The macs mostly use the airport rather than the cabled ethernet route but I have noticed something puzzling. Because of the nature of our house, thick stone walls and concrete floors in places, reception can be patchy depending upon my location. If I start my powerbook up in a good reception spot I can move about and should I stray out of range I can move back and it picks the airport back up. If I start the computer up in a suspect area and it doesn't detect the base station then no matter where I move it to it isn't guarenteed to find it. Obviously if I move the laptop right next to it it will but moving just slightly closer (but into a place where I know there is reception) won't guarantee anything...UNLESS I turn the airport card off and then back on again from the menu bar then it finds it! Using the airport admin and searching for base stations bares no fruit just the on/off method.
    Anyone else encounter anything like this.

2. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

try forcing the AE in your network profile to the network name... i had mine on automatic and it did the same.

3. psycho bob thread starter macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

good idea but mines always been setup so that upon startup it attempts to join this specific network. So no go there I'm affraid. Interesting that you had the same problem before mind.