airport extreme question: ibook and G5

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by _bnkr612, Feb 3, 2005.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004

I have a PMG5 with airport extreme card and don't use. I was wondering if I could take it out and place it in my ibook that does not have a wireless card. I was on apple's store and it looks as if the card is the same for any machine. I was hoping I could pull out the card from my G5 easily...

Any help would be great!

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Yes, you should be able to do this. AFAIK, there is no distinction between an Airport Extreme card for a desktop and a portable. Every Mac (except the mac mini) has easy access to the Airport card so you should be able to make this switch rather easily.

The only caveat is that older iBooks don't support Airport Extreme cards, only regular Airport cards. I don't know when the transition occurred, but looking over the documentation that came with your iBook should reveal which type of Airport card it uses and how to install it.
  3. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    I cannot find the dang wireless card in my pwrmac... I think they tucked it away on purpose... Apple EduStore here I come!

Found the manual! I see it! I'll be back to see if it works!
  4. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    Awesome! It worked.

I know how wireless for my iBook from the help of it's big brother the G5PM! I never used wireless for PM, lan line is the way to go!

Anyway, I am sure no one cares but me!

Just had to share.