Airport Extreme Question:

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cable, Jun 1, 2005.

1. cable macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about getting an Airport Extreme because Express' signal is a bit too weak for my house...

the only question I want to know is that, does Apple have a NEW version of Extreme coming out anytime soon? if so, what would be different about it? and will it have AirTunes?

thanks,

I wanna know if I should wait or not

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think there's a difference between the two AirPort's signal strength. From the top of my head, they've got the same broadcasting specs.

As for the new Extreme, it's purely speculation but people are saying one is likely within the next six months or so. Maybe even as soon as next week. :)

3. jcrowe macrumors member

Piggyback on your topic....

What I wonder is why are Apple's wireless routers so out of touch with others in terms of pricing. The Airport Extreme sells at a 4 to 5X premium over wireless routers from the likes of Linksys, SMC and D-Link. I don't see such a premium in other Apple products. Is there something superior about the AE...I'm genuinely interested in knowing what experience others have had. :eek: :eek:

4. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

There is a way to increase the signal strength, but I'm sure the strength is set at maximum.

You might find that Linksys routers give a better signal strength than the apple products. There is a reason why home routers are relatively inexpensive, and you've found out why. I dont know what kind of business you work in, but if you can get hold of some cisco kit (a bit over kill i know) either for free from your IT department, or for a relatively low price, you might find your problems with signal strength go away.

There is also the possibility that there are materials in your house that are affecting the signal strength.

If I was experiencing the problems you're talking about, I'd buy another aiprort express and use it to extend the signal

Best of luck

Jason