Airport Extreme question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by M. Malone, Apr 13, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

ok, I give up, I have tried Linksys, and 2 Belkin routers, they are just not 100% compatible with my Macs at home, so I'm gonna fork out the 200 for the Airport Extreme router...I wanna know, does it have to be wired to a computer in order to get set up? and if so, is it ok if it is wired to a windows machine? second question, I have 4 wireless comps, all are Wireless G except one of them which is Wireless B. If this wireless B device connects wirelessly to the router, will I still be getting G speeds on the G devices, or will the entire router have to downgrade to B speed? thanks

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you are setting everything up correctly? I have both a Linksys and a Belkin in my house. Both work flawlessly with my Mac. I set up a Belkin in my sister's dorm and it also work fine with her Mac.

3. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

of course I won't take it the wrong way, help me then :) what I have now is a Belkin Wireless G with Mimo, it has the Mac logo in the box, that's why I got it...it works, easily, but I have issues with Audio/video ichat, it just won't let me initiate, or receive video chats, my old Linksys B worked fine, but with no voice in the videos...for now, this is my main issue, but I'm worried if I come across another problem later on, like uploading content over iWeb or something like that, is there a way to make it work perfectly? thanks

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Have you set up the appropriate port forwarding in your routers? iChat needs a bit of setup to work properly.

FWIW, you could at least get an AirPort Express and plug it into your existing routers if you decide you need an Apple product - no need for the Extreme.