Airport Extreme question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iAtom, Apr 19, 2004.

1. iAtom macrumors member

Dec 5, 2003
    Massachusetts, US
    I am planning to buy a 15" Powerbook. I want to be able to use wireless internet around my house. Is there any real reason why I would need to buy Apple's Airport Extreme base station as opposed to a less expensive 802.11g base station?

One in particular that I am looking at is made by Netgear and I can get it here for $64.99 which would save me $115.

I don't know anything about wireless internet so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)
  2. krisjon macrumors regular

Feb 29, 2004
    San Diego, CA

No. A lot of people run other wireless routers with the built-in AE card. The AE base station is just a really nice wireless router and is a little easier to configure/setup because of Apple's software. That's it.

I'm no expert, but the one you mentioned should work fine.
  3. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Mar 7, 2004
    OK, USA
    No need buying the Apple base other than its cool look. I purchased a wireless g router from eBay for $40 and it works perfect with a mac and pc connected to it.
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Best Buy, CompUSA, and TigerDirect have all had recent sales of g routers. I saw prices in the $20's (after rebate). Check your weekly ads and find a one.

Personally, I've had less trouble setting my d-link up than my roomate had setting is airport base up. We both have *books and linux boxes. He had is powerbook up in 1 minute, but it took almost 2 days to get his linux box on it. I had my ibook and linux box on my d-link in about 5 mins.