Airport Extreme reception went downhill fast

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tonycpsu, Jun 25, 2004.

1. tonycpsu macrumors member

Last week, I had to send my 15" Aluminum PB to Apple to repair the battery lock, which had become stuck, and wasn't releasing the battery. I got it back yesterday, and suddenly my 802.11g reception is horrible. I used to get a full signal or maybe one bar less than full, now I get just one or two bars total. The result is very noticable when playing movies from my file server via the wireless network.

The first thing I thought was maybe the antenna cable wasn't connected securely, but I took a look and it's as secure as it can be. Is there anything else that could have happened to my Powerbook, either in transit, or something they did while it was open? I've tried changing the channels on my router, but the reception is consistently poorer than it was when I sent it out. My other wireless client seems to be fine, so I don't think it's an environmental / interference issue. The only other thing I've done since then was added a 512MB RAM chip, and I can't imagine that's the culprit.

So, can anyone think of anything else that might have happened? Is there anything I can do, short of taking it to Apple and complaining? Is that likely to get me anywhere at all?

Thanks.

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Isn't the Airport Card stored above the battery area? (I believe it is for the 12in but the 15in i'm not sure)

Maybe you should remove the card and put it back in

Sorry I couldn't suggest anything really useful :(

3. tonycpsu thread starter macrumors member

No, that's useful, but I did remove and re-insert the AE card, with no change in reception. The antenna cable plugs into the AE card right there above the battery as you said. I'm curious, does anyone know where that antenna cable goes to inside the PB? Maybe it's loose at the other end or something?