Airport Extreme running slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Optimus Rhyme, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Optimus Rhyme macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2006
    London, UK
    Yesterday I picked up the new Airport Extreme, and I started to play with it while I was the only one connected. All seemed great, as I was finally getting the same speed I would get connected through cable. (Roughly 700k/s)

Then my roommates came home, and they started to connect, and we found things kind of took a slight nose dive.

I am on a Macbook, my one roommate is on a Macbook Pro and the other roommate is on a Windows PC. The Macs are connecting through wireless, but the PC is connecting through cable. Once the PC tried to connect, he found that his connection was much slower. It appeared to be a little slower, I'll agree, as websites didnt load as quickly as they once did. I figured it was something to do with the fact that he was on a PC.

Then I decided to try loading the same site he had loaded to see if mine was as quick as it was earlier. Unfortunately, it wasn't and I was now also having a slow connection. My other roommate with the Macbook Pro tried a website and found the same thing.

My question to you all is, what is causing this?

We've done speed tests and found that we are reaching our full speed as stated by the tests, but real world tests as in opening web pages are just much too slow.

Is there a setting we need to change on the router? This wasn't a problem with my previous D-Link router. Our wireless speeds weren't very good, but the regular PC was faster.

I should also mention that we are signed up on Rogers in Canada, and that we are only signed up for one IP, not 3. We are thining that maybe we may need to now sign up for more IPs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. MCSquared macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2008
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Make sure your Firmware is updated, but first, make sure your AirPort Utility is updated to 5.4.1

You don't need a second IP - the Router manages up to 100 additional IPs for you.

Try shutting all the power off (on ALL devices); waiting 2 minutes, and re-starting. Then update AirPort Utility, then update software WITH AirPort Utility, then update firmware.

Rogers here in Canada is the best network (as fast as Europe; faster than the USA), so you should be fine.

If you have more questions, feel free: