Airport Extreme sees modem but not internet

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Applespider, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm going slowly mad trying to get my Airport Extreme base station to work...

I have a Powerbook 15" running Panther, I've updated it with the latest Airport software from Software Update etc. I have an Airport Extreme basestation (without modem) and an Xmodem ADSL ethernet modem from ADSLnation.co.uk

Plugging in the modem to the Powerbook - no problems. It connects to BTOpenworld easily, quickly etc etc. I can download the next set of instructions from adslnation to get it working with the AEBS

...but I can't make them work. I've done hard resets several times, have the settings to what is listed in the instructions (Use DHCP, Distribute IP, Connection via cable/dsl over ethernet) but no joy. The Powerbook sees the AEBS, the AEBS sees the modem (or at least I can run the modem diagnostics through the Powerbook when the ethernet cable is connected to the WAN port on the AEBS) but it refuses to connect to the internet. Just continually get 'server not found' messages.

Any ideas?

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

3. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Just in case anyone ever has a similar problem and searches for a solution. I finally solved it.

Nothing wrong with the settings/hardware etc.

The instructions in the AE Base manual say to connect the dsl/cable modem after configuring it on the Mac. What they don't say to turn the power off on the modem first.

I eventually just turned everything on in sequence. Modem, Airport and Mac and ta da...it all works.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

heh the wonders of reboot :)

5. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

I'd tried rebooting the Mac several times. I'm a switcher, I'm used to rebooting. Nothing worked.

It was the 'turning things on in order' or 'turning off modem' modem before removing/inserting ethernet that made it all peachy