Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benboy12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2014
Hi All,

I recently purchased an Apple Airport Extreme to connect to my AT&T U-verse residential gateway (Model NVG589). I am having some trouble with the set up. I can access the internet through the Airport Extreme's network on Apple devices (macbook pro and iPhone). However, I can't seem to connect other devices such as my smart TV or PS4. I checked the airport utility and it doesn't seem like the Airport Extreme is pulling over any information from my residential gateway (IP address, DNS Servers, Router Address, etc.). My residential gateway is in passthrough mode (I followed instructions I found on several different sites), so I don't know what the problem is. Any thoughts?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Hi All,

I recently purchased an Apple Airport Extreme to connect to my AT&T U-verse residential gateway (Model NVG589). I am having some trouble with the set up. I can access the internet through the Airport Extreme's network on Apple devices (macbook pro and iPhone). However, I can't seem to connect other devices such as my smart TV or PS4. I checked the airport utility and it doesn't seem like the Airport Extreme is pulling over any information from my residential gateway (IP address, DNS Servers, Router Address, etc.). My residential gateway is in passthrough mode (I followed instructions I found on several different sites), so I don't know what the problem is. Any thoughts?

Is your AEBS set to bridge or extend your network? If so, this may be your problem as you want the Airport to be setting IP addresses etc. As your RG is in passthrough mode, you want your AEBS to be creating a network. Maybe try runing the set-up again and make sure to create, not extend, a network.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.