Airport Extreme Updated With Gigabit Ethernet

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In Apple's press release for the iMac, they make a small note that the Airport Extreme has been updated to include gigabit ethernet.

Apple's 802.11n Airport Extreme base station had only included 10/100 Base-T ethernet, which had been a sore-spot in reviews considering all Macs now ship with Gigabit ethernet, and the theoretical wireless performance would outstrip the wired performance.

As of this writing, Apple has yet to update the product page for the Airport Extreme to reflect the change.

Article Link: Airport Extreme Updated With Gigabit Ethernet

2. macrumors 68040

Grimace

woohoo!! I was just thinking of getting one anyway!!

3. macrumors 68020

about time. they should be embarassed that it took this long--probably why they didn't make more of it.

4. macrumors 68030

spaceballl

And yes, for all that were wondering, I do feel screwed for buying the one without the gigabit ethernet a couple months ago...

5. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Too late

Well, nice job finally.

Too bad I had to help my parents buy another brand's router last month for exactly this reason. (As did I for myself.) I wonder how much money Apple saved by leaving this feature out of the first version. Did it even make up for the 2 lost sales in my family alone?

6. macrumors regular

Kaptajn Haddock

Where does it say that? All it says is that the iMac has gigabit ethernet not that the Airport Extreme does. It would be pretty low of apple to upgrade the AE so soon after release.

7. L3X
    macrumors 6502a

hmm, just got my AE a few weeks ago. Owell, i really only use the wireless N on it anyway.

8. Editor emeritus

longofest

keep reading...

9. macrumors member

10. macrumors 6502a

11. macrumors regular

Kaptajn Haddock

Damn! I feel so cheated, that they upgrade a brand new device so soon after its been introduced. This SUCKS!

12. macrumors regular

The Airport Extreme tech specs still says:
    RJ-45 10/100BASE-T Ethernet WAN port for connecting a DSL or cable modem
    Three RJ-45 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN ports for connecting computers or network devices

13. macrumors 68020

suneohair

14. macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

Hmmm, your family really really needed Gigabit to transfer huge files between their machines? Or was it their greater-than-100Mbit internet connection? Or maybe, it was your inner-geekiness that's hooked on specs more than functionality that made you go with a much-harder-to-maintain router from another company?

15. Guest

belatedly...

I can't believe they even considered selling it in the first place without gigabit...if I had been in the market for a router, I'd have gone to another brand too.

Same goes for AppleTV - they should pride themselves on getting high performance products out the door first time, not selling under-par components until the left over bin runs out

16. macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

As the owner of an AEBS (purchased before this update), I would have to recommend to anyone considering getting one: please stop considering it.

Stop considering it, and go buy it! This router has features and functions that other router makers just never even thought of. I have a Lacie Mac-Mini sized drive that fits underneath it perfectly and provides me excellent storage via the airdisk feature. Also, I don't know how I ever lived without wireless printing, so convenient! There are a bunch more features I appreciate, as well as a few I haven't used that might really benefit some (printing and airdisk access from out on the internet).

The main reason I considered not getting one was because of the lack of gigabit ethernet (great when you need to transfer something REALLY big). However, because of the target disk mode option on Macs, I decided I could live without gBit ethernet. Now that it has gBit ethernet, this router kicks a.

17. macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

18. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Interesting. I just purchased one last week off the refurb site. I just looked on the refurb site and it is now showing them as being Gigabit as well. Do y'all think this is a hardware or software change for this?

19. macrumors regular

You got me.;)

20. macrumors 6502a

Hilarious, considering that the common complaint against Apple is that they don't refresh their hardware often enough. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors G4

skunk

Well, something has been updated, because my AEBSn has finally started working as advertised, connecting to my 500GB MicroNet MiniMate and mounting multiple partitions and my iPod without the usual foul-up at the password stage. Result! :)

22. macrumors regular

Kaptajn Haddock

He he yep, but this is just to damn soon. Seems like they made a bummer and let the fast buying consumers pay for it.

23. macrumors 6502a

This is good considering Powermacs have had gigabit internet for what 7 years now?:rolleyes:

24. macrumors P6

Peace

ummm..skunk.They updated the AEBS with gigabit ports.It's not a software update.

25. macrumors 68020

suneohair

I knew it was only a matter of time. I don't understand why anyone bought one to be honest.