airport extreme vs. express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ogre55, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Ogre55 macrumors member

Apr 24, 2005
    I was wondering what the differences between the extreme base station and the express are. I am looking at setting up a wireless network for three computers and haven't been able to figure out what makes the extreme worth the extra 50 bucks. Thanks.
  2. 36183 Guest

Jun 24, 2004
    if one of your computers lacks wifi you can use the ethernet output on the airport extreme.

but if all your computers have wifi just get a express.
  3. The_Shocker macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2005
    Atlantic City, New Jersey
    airport extreme vs. express

The airport extreme is bigger and has a WAN port so you can connect two computers wired. It also has a phone jack and antenna port. The airport express is much more smaller and you can stream music over iTunes. The express only has one port though. With my experiences haveing both of them and using WDS they link to each other and make my singnal outstanding! The airport extreme shows signs of having a lot more range then my express. Hope that helps. (or just buy a cheap router and access point for less then $50)
  4. Ogre55 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 24, 2005
    That was the other thing I was wondering about. Is the airport worth paying more than a non-apple wireless router? I have used a lynk-sys for the past few years with good luck but my roommate is moving and taking that router with him. So I need ot find a replacement, hence the questions.

But with the extreme there are ports to hardwire a computer in and a stronger signal?
  5. Ogre55 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 24, 2005
    One more question...can the express act as a bridge if the main router is not an apple?
  6. S14-Racer macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2005

I am using a linksys befsx41 4 port plus wan ethernet roruter. Ive been using it for a couple of years now and just recently got a powerbook, thus needed a wireless solution.

My first thought was to replace the router with a linksys one equipped for cat5 and wireless. Then I thought about getting the airport extreme, but the price and lack of cat5 outputs was a turnoff.

My final answer was to retain the linksys router, as it is configured how I like and I dont really feel like reconfiguring a new one, and to get the airport express.

I felt that the express would be my best bet do to airtunes, the ability to retain three wired ports on my linksys, yet also have a wireless access point. The fact that it is as easy to take along with me to a hotel or another house, giving me wireless anywhere I go that has a network, as my powerbooks power brick, was just another bonus.

I have been happy with its performance so far and I had no problems tying it in to my network...
  7. Herbie macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2005
    I have a similar problem. I have an imac 400 DV (non wireless) which i'm gonna replace later this year, but in the meantime I need to sort wireless as the missus has just bought a wireless laptop.

I ruled out the Airport extreme on cost and intend to get a Netgear DG834GT. My plan was to connect the imac via an ethernet cable, and then wirelessly bridge to two Airport Express stations (primarily for airtunes and extending the network).

The question is....will all this work? Can I wirelessly bridge both Airport Expresses from the wireless router?

Will Airtunes work from the imac, i.e. could I effectively go backwards through the wireless router to stream music to each Airport Express?

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
  8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Just a small POI, the Apple specs say the Extreme and Express have the same broadcast range and from my experience, that's pretty true.

I was in the market for either of the two about nine months ago and ended up getting the Express because I don't need the extra hard wired connection, the range is the same and I don't need to ever put 10+ (up to 50) on my network at any one time. I ended up getting a second station to extend the range. It was really easy to create the WDS stuff and I'd recommend it to people needing a bigger broadcast area. Now I can (and do) surf the web floating in my rubber boat in the pool in the backyard - awesome! :D