Airport Extreme w/ PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hbrooksh, Jul 5, 2006.

1. hbrooksh macrumors newbie

I am trying to set up my airport extreme base in the following way so that I can set up wireless internet for my eMac:

DSL Modem -> APEB WAN port -> Dell PC (From LAN port)

My DSL providor requires PPPoE so I used the Admin Utility to use PPoE and supplied a user name and password. It downloaded OK. So here is my problem. When I start up my Mac it sees my airport network, but when I connect, it disappears. When I check the APEB and my DSL modem they are both just blinking. Like they are waiting for something to happen. Can anyone direct me to some instructions on how to set up a network in this way? The Apple store guys swear this is how its done.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This should work. I'm assuming the hardwired Dell's not getting onto the internet either, right? If you take the AirPort out of the equation, does your Dell connect properly? If so, open up the network settings on the Dell and match them exactly with those in the Admin Utility. :)

3. hbrooksh thread starter macrumors newbie

Needs updated firmware

I just solved the problem by going to the apple support site and downloading version 5.5.1 of the firmware. One of the problems it fixes is communication with internet via PPPoE. Now it works perfectly and I am a happy camper.