Airport Extreme - WAN / NAT to LAN

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Nik_Doof, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Ok, this is a tad complicated to explain but bear with me :)

I've got a bit of a weird setup to do, and as i've already got a Airport Extreme with NAT and routing capabilities i was wondering if i can use it.

I've got a LAN of say 6 machines, all must be NATed behind a box, which connects to another LAN where our main outgoing router is (and other external addressable machines). I was wondering if i could setup the Airport's WAN port as just another ethernet port with the gateway set as the main router on the External visable LAN.

Definitions:

AE Wifi = Airport's Wifi "Port" (aka any wifi clients in)
    AE WAN = Airport's WAN Port
    AE LAN = Airport's LAN Port

Diagrams time:

Powerbook -> AE Wifi -> AE WAN -> Switch -> Router -> Internet

or comming from a wired source:

G4 -> Switch -> AE LAN -> AE WAN -> Switch -> Router -> Internet

Everywhere i've read i've seen mentions of if the AE is put into NAT mode then a DSL mode must be used, can't i just define the WAN port for settings for this External visable network?

Slap me if this makes no sense, i'm still quite sleepy :)

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

That makes perfect sense, but I don't know if the AEBS can do that. I know I've done that with Linksys and D-Link before, but unfortunately, I've never even owned an AEBS!

I would think you could do that though, because I'm sure there are people using AEBS with a cable modem, or another ISP that doesn't require authentication.