Airport Extreme WDS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sohaness, Feb 28, 2007.

1. sohaness macrumors member

hi folks,

here is what im trying to do...im not sure if its possible though.

i have an airport extreme in my room upstairs that is serving up our whole network at home (~5 computers).

i want to be able to hardwire my xbox (not 360) to the network so i have fast access to its disks. the xbox however is all the way in the basement and running ethernet down there is a b**ch.

so, i was thinking of hardwiring another airport downstairs to the one i have up in my room, and then running a cable from there to the xbox which would be much easier.

so...there would be 2 airport extremes. lets say Airport 1 and Airport 2.

Airport 1 would be the main box and have the cable modem connected to it, along with my computer and the 2 others on this floor (wireless).
    Airport 2 would be the secondary box and it would have the xbox and my brothers computer hard wired into it.

Airport 1 and Airport 2 would be connected together via ethernet.

is this possible???

thanks,
    steve.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

it may be possible to do it, but it seems pointless to connect two wireless routers together with wires. anyway with the new airport extremes if you use the wireless for transferring files then it will be faster than using the wires connecting the two.

3. sohaness thread starter macrumors member

so if i have my computer connected to the airport in my room, the xbox connected to the other airport (via ethernet) and the two airports linked wireless, then transferring files to the xbox shouldnt take super long??

steve.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you can run an ethernet cable to the second AirPort, why can't you just run it to the XBox? :confused:

I'd not get a 2nd AirPort in any event. If you can run ethernet down there, just get a gigabit switch.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i agree. i wouldn't get another airport

6. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry if this is a stupid question (I may have misunderstood your problem), but why not use an ethernet bridge/gaming adapter hooked to the xbox? They are made specifically for this purpose.

7. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

bingo.. this would certainly be my solution.. if all you need as to connect your xbox to your network, all you want is something that can be a client on your wireless network.. not another airport.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xboxwirelessadapter/default.htm

of course now that I look at how much they are charging for it.. I would start to consider an airport express in your basement. Connect the ethernet to your xbox.. if you have a stereo down there or some computer speakers, connect them to the airport express and you can play your itunes music on it.. more bang for the buck than $100 for something that only works for one thing.

You can probably find cheaper ethernet to wireless adapters though.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm gonna go out on a limb and try and figure out what you meant.

You want 2 Airport Expresses. They connect to each other wirelessly and then the second AP is connected to the Xbox with a ethernet cable.

Yes you can use WDS to do this and there are many tutorials online to tell you how to do it. Currently I have 2 linksys routers and 1 AP and everything works nice and happy.

I also have my Playstation 3 on the network wirelessly. Wires are extinct in my house!

9. sohaness thread starter macrumors member

^ yes that is exactly what i want to do!

i would love to get rid of all the wires in my house but there are still some machines here that are using 802.11g and others that dont have wireless at all :(

steve.

10. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

If you have an airport extreme, you only need one airport express to bridge the network from your wan connection to your basement.

If you wanted to connect more wired devices in your basement (your tivo for example) you could just connect a 10/100 switch to the airport express in the basement.

If you can use the educational discount or don't mind a refurbished device. You can pay $89 for an airport express..

About what you would pay for an xbox wireless bridge.