airport extreme with hard drive attached

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wizzerandchips, Mar 9, 2007.

1. wizzerandchips macrumors 6502

I have attched a lacie hard drive to my new airport base stn. It shows the lacie as being on line with the base stn, but how do i drag and drop files in for bak up wirelessly ?

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You can mount the drive using Airport Disk Utility, then it will appear on the desktop.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A word of warning: there have been many reports (see Apple Discussions) about LaCie drives being incompatible with Air Disk. My own MicroNet MiniMate 500GB is giving me all kinds of problems too.

5. wizzerandchips thread starter macrumors 6502

yes a manual did come with the extreme, and looked at the supports on .mac,nd did what they said, but still no icon on the desk top. Although I loaded the disk for the lacie some time ago on my MB, I noticed in the link on mac support is says format the disk for the hard drive from M OSx extended, what does that mean. Yes, you may of guessed dont completely understand computors.

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

First make sure that is isnt already formatted in MacOS Extended, connect the drive to your computer, and when it mounts on the desktop ctrl+click (or right click if you have a mouse), and select get info.
    Look down the list of informations until you see "format" and it should tell you what format it is. If it is NOT MacOS Extended, you will want to format your drive:

To format the drive you need to go to disk utility
    applications-->utilities-->disk utlity

Once opened, select the LaCie drive and then go to "erase" (Formatting will erase your disk, so backup anything thats on the drive to your mac while you're formatting).

Select MacOS Extended under "volume format", and you may want to give it a new name, too.
    Click "erase" and it will format your disk.