airport extreme

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by giovanni, Jan 8, 2003.

1. giovanni macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    A simple question: if one has DSL internet access at a max speed of 700mbits, why do we need faster airports ? Where do you see the need for faster trasmission most likely to be ?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    The main use would be if you had multiple machines at home talking to each other, especially if one of them is a file server.

Of anywhere else you had local machines talking to each other trying to transfer lots of data.
  3. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I would like it in my laptop, so that at work, where we have 802.11b deployed everywhere (518 current APs), are testing 802.11a now in my building, and will be testing 802.11g very soon, at work I could actually fill 54 mbps pretty easily. I am hoping that OFDM is less vulnerable to microwave noise than the DSS encoding method that b uses.

At home, the only reason I would upgrade would be if I bought a printer. That USB printserver is a damn nice feature. Leave it to apple to come with that.
  4. theranch macrumors 6502

Jan 3, 2002
    Atlantic City area
    yes and no

At first I thought that the print server addition was nice but we already do this at home. I have an imac that has a usb printer shared and I can print from any of the other two computers over our network. OSX already automatically detected the shared printer on the imac.
  5. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    Re: airport extreme

I know 802.11b is a lot slower than ethernet when it comes to copying large amounts of data on a LAN, as I found out when I tried to copy all the data from my old Dell laptop to my new iBook (Dell was plugged into router with Ethernet, iBook was wireless). I ended up plugging in my iBook to the router 'cuz it was sooooo much faster. With 5x speed, it's more on par with the LAN speeds that people are used to.
  6. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    thx and another question

thank you, I begin to understand and can conclude that at home where the airport is only used to access the internet wirelessly, it won't be too beneficial.
    My current setup is a Dual 867 connected directly (cable) to a snow airport and an iBook which connects to the airport using the airport card. This is mainly for internet access since it is not frequently that I need to have to two communicate to each other.
    Two questions: would there be any reason to use an airport card for the dual 867 also (hence getting read of a cable) ?
    And, there is no printer that can print wirelessly through airport, or is there .

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    But wait! There's more!

Don't forget, that if you're in a mixed OS environment (like me) and need wireless, you can use the AirPort as well with a simple 802.11g card from CDW.