Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by RBilRamZ, Oct 15, 2003.

1. RBilRamZ macrumors member

I am the proud owner of my first apple, a 15" alu PB. I am looking into getting myself an airport extreme basestation and have some questions. first what is the difference between the two models, one has a modem and one does not. I am planning on connecting via either dsl or cable and want to know if the built in modem will take the place of the cable modem, or what (if any) the modem will do to help me?
    I also have heard that you can set up a printer to print wirelessly via the airport network. Is this true? and where can I find a printer that can do this for me?
    Thanks for all your knowledge and help.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

one has a modem port and connector for an external attenae, the has neither.

iJon

3. RBilRamZ thread starter macrumors member

what does the modem really do though (and the antena for that matter). i can plug the wire from a cable modem into either one, but i want to know if the version with the modem will eliminate that middle step

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

modem is for wireless access for people only with dialup.

iJon

5. dho macrumors 6502

you can also set the modem on the ABS to allow you to dial into your local network . Some use that just as a way to bypass NAT and get their stuff, but I would say it is most useful on the road when all you have is a phone line.

"free" dialup!!!!!

If you dont plan to use the modem or extend your range with an external antennae, then the "lower end" ABS should suit you just fine.

edit: 100th post...
    I am now a "macrumors regular" I feel so special:D

6. dho macrumors 6502

Depending on your level of expertise and what not, you might want to check out option from other companies.

ABS will be more simple, but a third party BS might suit your needs better and will probably give you a better price

edit: here is the link to officialCampatible Printers posted by our favorite fruit.

If you already have an "incompatible" one lying around, I suggest you give hooking it up a try anyway.

7. dho macrumors 6502

iJON: about your sig...
    living in california myself I know davis cant govern for ****, but can talk pretty effectively. Did he really say that? That is just like a bush line:D

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

no he really said that. first i saw it on jay leno, and it looked real but i had to confirm. i checked many news sites out that is his direct quote. he actually said some more on that sentence but that was enough for me. i still laugh at it. but i think its time to move back to my Indian sig since Davis is gone.

iJon

9. riwanami macrumors member

I'm not sure if you can actually dial up into the ABS network. I called Apple recently because this same post was in the "Hardware Section". The Apple rep told me this was not possible...