airport extreme

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by niter, Dec 2, 2003.

1. niter macrumors 6502

What is the range on an airport extreme card? I just ordered an iBook, but I am thinking about getting an airport extreme card as the building adjoining mine may have wireless. My lab is within 50 yards of the building and so I was thinking I could get the signal.

Thanks.

2. kaosfere macrumors member

The range for 802.11g (the 54Mbit "Extreme" bit of Airport Extreme) is limited to about 50 feet or so. You may be able to luck out and get an 802.11b connection, but it would probably be pretty shakey at that distance, if it were usable at all, unless you had an external antenna.

3. riwanami macrumors member

Re: airport extreme

I seriously doubt you'll get a signal 50 yards away. The theoretical maximum distance on 802.11b is 150 feet, which is exactly 50 yards. But it's theoretical and anything that may obstruct the signal (such as walls, humidity, interference, etc) will shorten the distance.

However, even if this doesn't work, I'd still recommend you get the Airport Extreme Card, because there are many places you can use it these days.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What if there was some kind of directional antenna involved at the base station? I've heard you can send a signal pretty far, and with a good receiver antenna couldn't you pick up the card's signal farther than 150 feet? The Dr Botts directional says it can work out to about 500 feet in a single direction?

5. riwanami macrumors member

I've heard mixed reviews on Dr.Bott's antennas. But it may not hurt to try. Another option is to bridge two airport extreme base stations together. But this would only work if the other building has Apple's Airport Extreme Basestation, and Niter buys another AE base.