airport extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mikeyredk, Jul 15, 2004.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

for those who did get it. can you extend non airport networks?

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

3. mrviga macrumors member

Well, Apple doesn't support the extending feature in Express unless you use an AE basestation. However, I have heard from some people, as well as Apple tech support, that it does work. I tried, and had no luck...anyone here have any luck with that feature?

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I hear it is a matter of which chipset the base stations use. Some of us are waiting for more Express units to hit the market so we know what stations are compatible other than Apple's.

5. westy macrumors newbie

printer/scanner/copier

I wonder if the USB works for my all in one printer..anyone know?

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I'll let you know in about 5 Hours!

Darn Fedex guy came when I was in the shower. now I get to go pick it up after work. :rolleyes:

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Not yet.

I was unable to get the Airport Express to add on to my non-Apple wireless network. (We have a microsoft Router/AP, Flame away) It says in the install software that only the Airport is supported. SO unless you find a way to hack it, I think only the Airport is going to work. Too bad. Changing between music & the internet sucks. I guess ill have to pick up an Airport Extreme or another Airport express now.

8. rideahyperLite macrumors member

you probably know this by now but it works with my linksys router. which is key because if i had to switch between internet and itunes i would be pissed

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

airport express's and the tunes thing should work with any router, thats not what the original poster wanted.

you guys should really stop hoping for a range extender. its not going to extend the range for non airport stations and apple never promised that it would. give it up.

no companies router can be extended by antoher comapnies extender. It would be the same if i tried to use a linksys range exntender on my dlink router ... doesn't mix.