airport fails to connect

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jlewis2k1, Oct 16, 2006.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

Ok, so if i were to put my computer to sleep for like lets say an hour then i would to wake it up then i would have a problem connecting to a wireless base station. That is when I would have to manually turn off the airport and turn it back on before it connects to a base station. I went to apple's discussion forums and found a potential solution but it does not work for me. Anyone has any ideas to why this happens?

Recap:
    When computer goes to sleep for an hour the Airport refuses to connect to a network unless it is forced to be turned off then turned back on.

Specs:
    Intel Mac Mini 1.66 GHz Core Duo
    512 MB Ram
    80 GB Drive

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What was the potential solution that you tried? :)

3. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

sorry for the late response but this is the solution i tried.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, go into System Preferences and hit the Network button. Once you've selected AirPort, and then select Preferred Networks from the drop down list associated with By Default, Join... In this list, remove your network(s), close System Preferences, open it again and come back to this location. Now, re-add your network(s) and see how that goes. This has worked in some cases so hopefully it'll help you too. :)

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

All of a sudden, I started having this problem too. And I thought I fixed it by following the recommended steps of removing my preferred networks and readding them.

After waking from sleep, airport disconnects and assigns itself its own ip address. I have to manually shut off airport and turn it back on again.

My intel airport problems under 10.4.8 are driving me nuts! :mad:

This is the only problem I've ever had with a mac that has no apparent permanent solution.

6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

fwiw, i was having these exact problems on my macbook. i thought it had something to do with the latest firmware/smc updates that apple put out, but it was actually coconut wifi. if you have coconut wifi installed, remove it! i no longer have any problems whatsoever reconnecting to my airport network automatically after sleep.

i'm afraid i don't have any suggestions if you don't have coconut wifi, though... :eek:

7. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I have posted the solution for this issue a couple of times on this forum. It is being caused by having multiple keychain entries for the same wireless network; it looks like the driver does not know which one to use or something. I think you probably reinstalled your access point? This is what caused this issue on my PowerBook and my girlfriend's iBook.

To fix this issue you have to remove the duplicate keychain entries by doing the following steps:

1. open keychain (Applications --> Utilities --> Keychain Access.app)
    2. click on 'System' in the 'keychain' pane
    3. locate the name of the wireless network in main pane; you probably have duplicate entries here
    4. delete all entries for that wireless network (delete them all to be sure; if you don't know the password see my ps)
    5. reconnect to the network and enter the key/password for your network

You will autoconnect again after awake from sleep :)

Good luck!

ps. if you do not know the password for your network you can (double) click each of the duplicate entries and check the 'show password' checkbox.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have had a similar problem as the OP. My airport usually works but every other day or so when I wake it (and the hard drive never goes to sleep, only the display), the airport fan is gray. I don't have to turn the airport on and off, just reselect my network from the list. I have tried resolving the issue with Applecare, dumping my plist files, even took it to the genuis bar, and they have no idea. it is very intermittent. I have set it as my only and preferred network and 80% of the time it works. But once or twice a week I will wake it, go to a site, safari can't display and I look over and my airport fan is gray. It is on a 1.66 Core Duo refurb Mini. For what is it worth I will try the keychain solution when I get home, but I don't think that will solve it. I've had the Mini a month now.

9. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Unfortunately, I don't have coconut wifi, and I also only have one entry in the keychain for my wireless network. I don't know what to do; the disconnections seem totally random at times and I can't identify the cause. :(

10. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

My airport is going absolutely bonkers today. Has anyone with airport problems under 10.4.8 found a permanent fix yet? Apple's suggestion of removing and re-adding WPA2 networks to the preference list is useless. Here's the lowdown, as quoted from me on Apple's support forum thread regarding this issue. I have posted my thread replies here to highlight my particular circumstances.

11. scotartt macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problems with my airport. Its really frustrating.

12. ascender macrumors 68000

There's quite a few workarounds and possible solutions over at the Apple support forums. In the end i just bought a cheap wireless bridge and turned the airport off. Kind of pointless I know, but the connection is now extremely fast and reliable.

13. JenSee macrumors newbie

". . . go into System Preferences and hit the Network button" etc

Thank you thankyou thanku, Mad Jew.

Problem solved @ last, and I never even knew that selection was available.

Peace at last.

Ta!

(p.s. My probs were with working to a third party wifi router, so the prob was all in my Mac's preference setting.)

(p.p.s. Now I'm off to find your cousin, the one who knows how to restore volume & partition icons to the desktop! And no, it isn't the obvious Finder Preference - but then, I wonder where that file lurks? Hmmm . . .)

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. You might be after com.apple.desktop.plist or com.apple.finder.plist. However I'm not 100% sure I know what the problem is so can't really go further 'til you tell us more details. :)