Airport fast enough?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MiloMac, Sep 23, 2002.

1. MiloMac macrumors newbie

At 11 Mbs, how does the Airport system work for wireless surfing? I'm planning on installing the Airport Card & getting a base station w/ the new iBook, but am seeing more and more ads for wireless hubs that provide 22 to 56 Mbs. Will the ABS & card be quick enough (primarily to be used for wireless surfing via DSL)? Also, since I'm sure later generations of ABS will have faster transfer rates does this mean the card will need to be upgraded as well?

2. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

Depends on how fast your DSL is. If its your common residential 124k both ways then 11mbps will be WAY more then you will need. The limit will be your internet connection not your network speed.

3. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

It will be hard for the DSL modem to saturate the bandwidth of the AirPort. The only slowdown you might notice if you have 3 or more macs fileshared and you are transferring a 3.5 GB iMovie file of your darling little child from one computer to the other.

I have been using an AirPort base station for a good year and I couldn't tell you the difference between being hard wired or wireless.

If you have a powerbook or ibook in your setup, the Airport is that much more valuable. i love taking my PB pismo from the living room sofa to the kitchen, to the bedroom, the bathroom, ehhh, I mean the "office". :)

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    802.11b,a,c,d....

Well, there are faster alternatives to 802.11b (airport) out there, but most sacrifice distance for speed. there is one that has the range of airport and the extra speed, but i forget it's IEE name, besides, i do not think the standard has been set yet.

anyway, if you really think your connection can saturate airport and you want to use another wireless router/card, remember that it WILL stick out of your pc card slot and have a big antenna. airport is built in to the machine and invisible. don't peecee up you stylish ibook.

5. MiloMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks All

That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. Although I am in a residential area, I'm less than 1/2 mile from my switching station so my DSL rates are extremely high. I'll just have the iBook plus maybe an eMac connected later. I'm more confident than ever that the ABS will more than meet my needs.

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

A good wired connection (100Mbps, 1Gbps, or 10Gbps) will be much faster IN REAL-WORLD OPERATION than an Airport or any wireless connection. This is assuming, however, that you are transfering files from Mac to Mac (or PC). For internet surfing, no residential connection even comes CLOSE to Airport's limit, so it should be fine.

I love having Airport at work, and I hope to get it at home once I can get broadband (not availible in my area:( )

7. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Thanks All

Sorry to double post, but the max speed you could possibly get on a DSL line is 8Mbps under the best conditions. You've still got headroom on the Airport to handle that bandwidth.

Anyway, good luck with your Airport.

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

11mb

11mb is plenty fast for web use. The only time that you might see a small diffrence is if you were trasnfering very larg files over your interenal Wireless net work. Its much faster to go 10/100 but.... 11mb wireless is plenty fast. I get something like 300k /sec when pusing files over mine...

also... the furter you are from the base station.. the slower the connection. That goes for interference like 2.4GHz cordless phones( poorly made ones) and other things like that.

I have a Wirless router with a built in 4 port Switch... I have one Mac pluged into the swithch via Cat 5 cable. The other 2 coputers on my network are using the Wireless cards. If you hit a website on any of the computers... you would get the same respoce time... in my house anyway.
    -evildead