Airport Frustrations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrAndersen, Aug 30, 2006.

1. MrAndersen macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2006
    So I moved into a new place and my roommate has a laptop that accesses the internet through Wi-Fi. I went to the Mac dealership and asked what I need to get on the net? Buddy sold me an Airport Express and said it was basically plug-n-play.

Well by now I'm a few hours in and very frustrated. My Airport card doesn't sense it's there even though it's like 2 feet away and am now completely lost on what I need to do.

So I have a few questions...will I just be able to hop onto her Wi-Fi connection or will I have to run an ethernet cable from her computer to the AP Express and then go from there or am I just completely on the wrong path?

Oh please help!
  2. Mernak macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2006
    Kirkland, WA
    The problem may be that the network is hidden, try connecting to "other" and typing in the name and password of the network. also have you tryed other networks. I'm also confused on whether you bought the card or the base on the airport.
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    I'm not sure I understand. Sounds like your roommate already has a wireless router with a connection to the internet. You say your machine has an airport card. Why can't you simply access her wireless router with your machine? You just turn on Airport and turn off ethernet in you network preferences. Your airport card should see here WiFi and ask if you want to join it. If she has security on (let's hope so) she'll have to tell you what the magic word is.

Am I missing something? I don't see why you would need an Airport Express.
  4. MrAndersen thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2006
    She doesn't have a router...she's just hoping onto someone's unsecured network in the neibourhood.