Airport getting status for half an hour

Discussion in 'macOS' started by acidity, Mar 12, 2007.

1. acidity macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006

So I am visiting Europe for the first time and I am in Florence. I am staying in a house which has wireless connection.

I cannot get my Mac connected to the network. When I select the network name, it says: Getting Status and just stays there for ages without connecting.

My friend has a windows box and it correctly recognises the network and connects to it without any problem or extra configuration.

Any idea how can I debug my Apple Aiport?
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Damn Europeans and they're old buildings. How far are you from the access point? Perhaps the old buildings are particularly thick. Otherwise if there is security try typing in the SSID of the network and go that route.

3. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    One floor difference but I can connect with the winows machine (i am writing this post with the windows dell laptop).

It does not have any security. Its free.

So obviously there is a problem with the Mac :(
  4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Do you have Use Interference Robustness selected? Is your location on Automatic?
  5. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Seems it was indeed the thick walls. I went near to the router (around 10 feet away) and now I can connect. Even now the connection is flaky. Once I send the laptop to sleep, I have to again start Internet Diagnostics to to check and get it back.

But I am still surprised that Windows worked out of the box. :confused: :confused: