Airport giving problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by findpankaj, Nov 27, 2005.

1. findpankaj macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005

I have an ibook 14" G4 which I recently purchased.
    I am havng some issues connecting to the internet.
    It has happened quite a few times now and happens
    when my ibook comes out of sleep. It is not able to get the correct ip from my router. When I see the system preferences->network->airport, the status of airport says something like this - "Airport is connect to <network_name>. Airport has self assigned ip address and may not connect to internet".
    It simply refuse to connect even when i go to tcp/ip and reassign the ip under DHCP. The only way I can bring it up is by restarting the router which is a big pain as it will disconnect all other computers for some time. Oh yes when my apple is offline because of this problem other PC's are connected and running, so may not be the problem of router.I called up Apple, they suggested me to restart the router everytime this happens which to me is little absurd. Any suggestions.
  2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    Did you patch your OS up with the recent Airport update from Apple? My iBook lost connection occasionally with the Belkin router and after the patch, it stays connected.
  3. doucy2 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    ive encountered a similar thing because i have a pc hooked up to mine too
    what i will do when it wont recognise it is go to the airport station and unplug the power adapter from the back of it and plug it back in wait a minute and it lives again
    hope this will work for you
  4. findpankaj thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    Yes Apple also suggested me that but its a bit too much to do when others are connected.

Yes I have the latest updates. I checked again.
  5. jbernie macrumors 6502a

Nov 25, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have never quite figured out MAC tcp/ip. Is there anything in OSX that allows you to refresh the ip from the command line?

Here we of the University of Iowa.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for instructions on renewing the IP. If your Airport router is working just fine a renew of the IP address should take of your issues.