Airport help please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rapidj, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rapidj macrumors regular

I am ready to buy a Powerbook in the next day or so as was going to get an airport extreme card for my home eMac as well, so the two computers could communicate and share files. We have DSL on the home computer and I was under the impression that the airport card in the eMac along with the airport card in the PB would allow me to surf the internet from my PB. Is this true, or was i mistaken? If not would i need a base station as well as a card for my eMac? If i get a base station will i still need an airport card for the eMac. Also, what is the difference between the two airport base stations?
    Sorry for all te questions, but i thought i was ready to buy, but this latest development has thrown me a little.

thanks

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You can share the internet connection from the eMac to the PowerBook as long as both have an AirPort card. It's in System Prefs/Sharing enable internet sharing. You don't need a base station, but if you got one, you could just pass the ethernet connection through it and would NOT need an AirPort card for the eMac.

3. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I'm not sure if it will work but you do NOT need an airport basestation for sure. Airport/Airport Extreme comply with 802.11 standards meaning ANY wireless router will work.

4. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response so far. I have the first generation emac (700 MHZ, combo drive) which came out nearly two years ago and the specs say;

"built-in atennas and card slot for optional 11-Mbps AirPort Card; IEEE 802.11b compliant"

Can i use an Airport Extreme Card with this? Apple refurbs has an Airport Extreme Card but it says it won't work with older Airport card bays (PCMCIA form factor slot

thanks

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You will have to find an old airport card somewhere then. The airport extreme card is backward compatible, but that means that you will have to be connected using the older and slower 802.11b standard (11Mbps as opposed to 54Mbps for AE). Unless you are using it to transfer data between the computers, I don't think that you'll notice a slow down in internet.

6. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

So I can use an older Airport card in my emac and it will communicate with the newer card in my PB?

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Absolutely! All I was saying is that the communication happens at the speed of the least common denominator.

8. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular