Airport help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DCB1, Aug 1, 2006.

1. DCB1 macrumors member

I have a 20" iMac and just put a Airport extreme card in it. I am trying to use a older Airport base station (graphite) and I can not get it to work. It shows that I am connected but I am unable to do anything online. I got the base station from my brother. I have tried to reset the base station and then re-set it up. It will ask for a password and I use what they said was the default password was and it does not work.

Help....

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm assuming the iMac works properly when plugged directly into the modem/router, right? Have you matched the network settings of the AirPort with those in the Network pane of System Preferences on the iMac (under Ethernet)? :)

3. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, but i remember somthing like, that if you reset your Airport base station the password is 'public' (without the quotes)

then you can re-setup the bs...

just a thought...

4. DCB1 thread starter macrumors member

I have tried all the above mentioned and nothing works. I know it is something simple I am missing.
    Do I have to set it up initially and then it will work anywhere? When you go to someone's home and they have wireless internet you don't have to configure anything...

Thanks

5. Duffman macrumors member

Duffman

I still use my graphite, and it sounds like you have hit all the points...just in case, give the linked file a look. You may have already read this, but just in case you havent or there is a step that you missed, here is the official Apple document on resetting the base to factory settings

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58613

6. DCB1 thread starter macrumors member

I will go through it all again.... but I do not have the original software. Do I need it? I guess I could see if my brother can find it. He said he never installed anything or did any setting... it just set itself up.?

Thanks