Airport icon "broken"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caezar, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

The Airport icon in the menu bar is no longer showing the status of Airport, even when the card is functioning correctly.

I can surf the internet wirelessly (no ethernet cable plugged into my iMac) and yet the menu bar tells me that I am not connected to any router.

What puzzles me most is that the status shown in System Preferences / Network contradicts the menu bar and tells me that my Airport card is up and running.

How can I repair this glitch?
    :confused:

Thanks.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, if you haven't already, you could try doing the obvious restarts of the menu bar thing:

Open up the Network Preference Pane and toggle "show status in menu bar" off and back on. That should effectively "restart" it, and may fix the problem.

If it doesn't, have you tried a full system restart? That clears up nearly every odd little glitch like that.

3. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

I already tried both of them without result. Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe find a file named com.apple.airport.menuextra.plist in your Preferences folder and drag it to the Desktop, then restart. :)

5. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

No luck. I could not find any file with this name.

6. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha! I found a thread on another forum where users try to solve the same problem. I am not sure what to do though as the guy has no clue on how he solved the problem...
    http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=42733

Here is what my console displays when I toggle the "Show Airport status in menu" box in System Preferences:

2007-03-13 23:33:14.347 SystemUIServer[233] Error loading AirPort Menu Extra: Couldn't initialize shared Controller

7. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502