Airport>iMac G5>Ethernet>PS2?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlmightyG5, Aug 14, 2006.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to get my PS2 online by connecting an ethernet cable from the back of my iMac G5 to the PS2? The iMac is getting a wireless signal from the Airport station downstairs. So the internet would go wirelessly to the iMac and then from the iMac to the PS2 via ethernet cable.

Is this possible?

[Moderator note: Multiple threads merged. Do not start duplicate threads.]

2. MaxPower2k6 macrumors newbie

Yes, go into your System Preferences and click on Sharing, and then go to the Internet tab. Select Airport from the "Share your connection from:" menu, and then select Built-In Ethernet in the "To Computers Using:" list.

The computer will act like a router and will give out an IP to the PS2 via DHCP when connected.

I do the opposite of this (Ethernet > AirPort) in my dorm room (which only has an ethernet connection) to get my PSP online.

3. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, should I use a regular Cat5 cable or Crossover?

4. MaxPower2k6 macrumors newbie

Regular Cat5 should work fine. All modern Macs have autosensing ethernet ports, which means that it automatically reverses the wires if it's connected directly to another computer.

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I don't think it will matter. The mac should deliver packets with either cable.

6. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I will try later when I buy a Cta5 cable and see what happens. Thanks!

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Yes it is.

Open System Preferences->Sharing.
    Click the Internet Tab.
    Click the lock at the bottom and authenticate if you need to.
    Select AirPort from "Share your Connection From..."
    Select Built In Ethernet in the "To computers using" list.
    Click Start Sharing.

You need to use either a switch, hub, or a crossover cable to connect them.

I noticed that there's a button that says "Airport Settings" so you might need to play around with those settings. I don't have an AirPort card, so I can't check for you.

8. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok...I got a Cat6 cable and I am having some problems. I when to sharing and shared the internet connection with the Ps2.When I tried connecting the PS2 online through Network Setup, It wouldn't connect with automatic settings so I entered my IP and DNS(Which I got from Aiport Admin utility) Manually and it said connection successful. Well when I tried logging into SOCOM, I Could not get past the DNAS Screen and an IP error came up on my iMac saying that my Ethernet IP couold not connect or something. What do I have to do?

9. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I don't think that you can use the address from your AirPort, you have to use an address that the iMac assigns. I think it's supposed to act as a NAT and DHCP server, which means that it's acting as it's own wired airport. But, I'm not 100% sure.

10. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Now how do I change the settings to do this. I just don't understand why it won't get past the DNAS screen.

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I've been looking for a way to link my Airport and lan ports too. Will you be able to view networks on either side with this? I.E. will another computer connected to the airport be able to talk to the iMac via the airport and thus talk to a computer connected to the lan connection on the iMac?

12. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Not necessairly. The iMac is only sharing it's Internet connection.

To the OP - try posting your question at Apple's message boards (http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa).