Airport in the bathroom?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by marknicholls, Nov 28, 2005.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

I am having a new bathroom fitted and would LOVE to listen to some music while having a soak in the bath! I have plans on plugging an Express just outside the bathroom, and running cable up the wall, through the celling, and attatching to some bathroom proof speakers (mounted on the celling) Here are the speakers i have seen:

http://www.aqsound.com/store/en/view_product/38/26/

Does anyone know how i could get a set of speakers (or silimar) to attatch to an express? i would need to convert the speaker connector to an audio jack, can anyone advise?

Thanks

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i was thinking of doing the same in my main bathroom but after a trial run with a speaker like that and my ipod i decided against that ideal due to not being waterproof

so that speaker you found there would be perfect! try it first like i did with a old crappy headphone jack 3.5mm just not your ipod headphones and plug it onto one of your stereo speakers lol and then i guess it's time for a bath ;)

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I tend to use powered speakers with my express. You may need a bit more oomph to drive an unpowered speaker like the ones that are linked at volumes that you would need to hear over the sound of running water. You could proabably get by with something simple like a car audio amp instead of a full HiFi receiver.

B

4. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

But the speakers have found will not have an audio jack out, i guess they will have the wires you attatch to a standard stereo...i need speakers like that but both join together so both ceb be connected to express via audio jack

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

:D just chop up that old headphone you got somewhere and conect the wires together

true it wont be mega loud but it will work and i think them speakers will be very cool mounted in the ceiling of my bathroom

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

To be more specific, if you want to try it without an amp, chop up an old set of headphones as liketom suggests and connect the tip to the red connection on the left speaker, then the ring to the red connector on the right speaker, and then connect both of the black connectors to the sleeve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

Otherwise you could get the phase wrong and not get useful stereo out of it.

For bathroom use you might just want to use a single speaker (mono) and connect the tip and ring together to the red connector on the speaker. You'll get L+R on that and will also get more volume as part of the bargain.

I still recommend the $30 amp route.

B

8. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

An added bonus of this will be the stellar signal for using your iBook in "The Office." I have an Airport Express in my office sans speakers. It's officially in there to rebroadcast the signal to the living room, but I don't complain when my signal better than other places in the house. :)

9. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, you have been a massive help, Sonic Impact 5066 is the solution, just rig that up to the waterproof speakers, and the extreme....i cant wait!

Might take it one step further and get a PDA with a waterproof case so i can select the tracks i want while sat in the bath.....think my other half may think im going to far though.....:)

10. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Im done :) The sonic Impact is great, my soaks in the bath are that much more longer now! lol

Ok, so how about the remote? I'm still think of a PDA running sailing clicker (with a waterpoof case) - even the new apple ipod remote is quite cool but its IR - i need a remote than can work over wifi as i will have no line of sight back to my PC - so, anyone know of a wifi remote other than a PDA using sailing clicker?

Many Thanks

11. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Firstly, anyone have any ideas on the above?

Seconfly, if i have 3 Express's in my house all running itunes (Bathroom, bedroom & lounge) is there a way i can get itunes to play the same music in all the locations at the sametime? That would be great for parties!

Thanks

12. betbest1 macrumors regular

iTunes 6.0.2 supports multiple speakers.

13. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

14. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Superb - Thank you very much

15. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

your wish is my command. http://www.apple.com/itunes/share/

16. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

My setup is getting funky :)

I am on the verge of buying a video ipod with logitec bluetooth headphones...the only thing thats preventing me is if apple release a bluetooth ready ipod a month later, i guess its the chance you take but i wanted to make sure this idea isnt in the pipeline before i buy? anyone heard any rumors?

17. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Just installed the new version but no simultaneous option...any ideas?

Attached Files:

18. oo5yolo10 macrumors member

oo5yolo10

i thought you were going to say that you stay on the internet and bring the ibook/pb into the bathroom while you know.......because i have done it!

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Psssh... forget the waterproof PDA... run a microphone line in there and use voice activation... :p

20. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

If you could i would!

21. calculus Guest

calculus

You need to update the firmware on your express thingies as well.

22. Jaunty macrumors regular

Synced Airtunes

As said, update Airport Express (and/or Extreme) to most current firmware plus 6.02 iTunes for multiple Airunes. Works for me with 2 x Airport Express. But subjectively the sound deteriorates a lot when you split the signal. Fine for background stuff but not so good if your are trying to blast it out.

23. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Glad to here it works well - I've taken note of the speakers thanks to you, so if I ever manage to buy my house, I've got an install in mind :)

24. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Fantasic - works a treat

Correction - works a treat with 2 exprerss's - add a third and mine jumps all over the place, which is odd as my network generally has good bandwidth, i stream video on my phillips streamium at 5000kbps which is much more than is needed for 3 audio streams

25. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone got it workiing good with 3 express's?