Airport internet connection problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soundhound, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I'm having a lot of problems with my wireless internet connection. I have an airport extreme, not the newest one, but the one that was out just before it. Also have several expresses, hooked up to stereos and a couple of printers.

The problem is I seem to have to restart the Airport Exreme all the time, and I mean ALL the time, several times a day. I'll be doing stuff on the web, downloading or listening to streaming files, or even just viewing boards etc, and whatever linked I've clicked to will just chug and chug. I usually use Airport Setup Assistant, choose configure airport and update the configutation (without changing any of the info of course) and that restarts the airport, and usually the problem goes away. Sometimes I have to do it twice. Oddly, if I do to Mail and use Connection Doctor, the three lights will be red. If I stop it and reopen it several times, I'll finally get green lights, and the network or internet connection I guess, will be okay again. Weird. But generally it's restarting the Airport that will do the trick.

We have a new Macbook pro (four months old) and a late model G4 titanium using the network. I also have a 500 gig hard drive serving up music to the network through an old G4 450mhz Titanium powerbook. That doeesn't seem to affect the internet connection problem though, it happens whether that one's on or not.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

File sharing. I don't think so? What sort of apps would be using file sharing? Also this happens on all macs using the network, not just mine, if that helps?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just one machine on the network with an app like LimeWire, Acquisition, Bit Torrent and so on can break a network. Also, how old is your router? :)

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use acquisition x from time to time. but this seems to happen when I'm just surfing the net on camino or safari/

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

How long has this problem existed for? Did you change anything to your network that might have encouraged problems or did it just happen?

Who is your ISP?

7. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

the ISP is Time Warner, formerly Comcast. In December I changed from an old Airport, to an Airport Extreme (the model just before the newest ones) and added several airport expresses as well. But I believe the problem existed b efore I switched airports.

8. Shivania macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problems.

I bought one of the new 'n' Extremes a couple of days ago and then connected my old Express through WDS so that i can still stream music.

At first I only used the Extreme without the Express and everything worked fine, switched on my MacBook and had internet connection right away.
    But since i set up the WDS I am having constant internet connection drop outs, though everything else is fine. I can still stream music through AirTunes and my PC that is not connecting wireless is still online, just no internet on my AirPort.

The only solution to this problem is first restarting the Extreme, then I'll have to wait until it is completely rebooted. Afterwards I have to restart the Express and while it is still rebooting, I have to manually connect to the Extreme by using AirPort utility.
    After this I have my internet connection up and running again for a couple of hours or until I shut down/reboot my MacBook.

Any Idea? Thanks in advance

9. devil121 macrumors newbie

My friend as long a I know airPort is based on the IEEE 802.11 networking standard for connecting computers to local networks without a wire. The 11-Mbit speed of 802.11 HR is comparable to the 10-Mbit/sec. performance of standard, 10BaseT Ethernet. That's fine for e-mail, modest file-sharing, database access (e.g. to FileMaker, 4D and Helix) or Internet access, but it will be limiting to users who need more bandwidth for such tasks as moving large graphics and media files. "High-speed" Internet access (e.g. DSL, cable, satellite, T1, etc.) is far slower than 11 Mbits/sec and will work well with wireless networking.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Try changing your DHCP renewel to 1 day.I'm guessing the DHCP server is doing 4-hour or something along those lines.

Make sure ALL your Macs arn't set up with static IP's.And the DHCP Server isnt using static IP's for the Macs..

The AirTunes in the WDS need to have the same set-up.

11. Shivania macrumors newbie

Just tried that but the only thing that changed was that my express kept blinking orange instead of a solid green light (i read somewhere that there is a problem with the DHCP in WDS networks so i set the express to static IP) but after about half an hour I lost my connection again.

One thing I have observed is that if I log in to my Extreme after I loose my connection it says
    "Wireless clients: -"
    and after the reset it says
    "Wireless clients: 2" (My MBP and my Express i guess)
    But though the Extreme says that there are no wireless clients, the AirPort Network is still working, just no internet. :confused:

12. Shivania macrumors newbie

I finally found the problem!

Both base stations had 'connection sharing' set to 'share a public IP adress' but apparently in WDS this has to be switched to 'Off (Bridge Mode)'

I have absolutely no idea what this means (connection sharing? with what? Bridge? :confused: ) but since I'm having a stable Airport internet connection since 3 days now i could not care less ;)

Hope this helps anybody else

13. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shivania,

This is great news! Thanks for posting it. I tried to do the same but couldn't find the 'connection sharing' setting. Is that in the Airport Admin Utility? If so, under which tab, etc?

thanks!!!!

14. Shivania macrumors newbie

Well i can't tell you for sure, because since i have the new n extreme I am using the new 'Airport Utility' for both Extreme and Express.

I just checked the settings of my Express with the Admin Utility (can't use it to configure the new Extreme) and I guess there you have to uncheck the 'Distribute IP addresses' in the network tab, this seems to be the same I guess?

Just to be sure I made some screenies of all the settings, maybe this helps:

Airport
    Internet
    Network
    Port Mapping
    Access Control
    WDS

15. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, thanks for those setting pictures, really appreciate that.

I'll try and see tonight if I can make this work. Looks like a big difference would be, as you say, turning off the 'Distribute IP Addresses'. I'm pretty sure that's on for my base station. On your new base station (I have the 'g' extreme, not the 'n' yet) is that what you referred to as the 'Connnection Sharing' setting on your new 'n' Extreme?

16. Shivania macrumors newbie

You're welcome. I remember how frustrated I was when I still had those disconnects so anything that helps you.

I can't say for sure if this really is the same setting because the old Airport Admin Utility and the new Airport Utility have totally different settings, but with the new Airport Utility you can set the 'Connnection Sharing' to 'Distribute a range of IP addresses', 'Share a single IP address' and 'Off (Bridge Mode)', while
    in the network tab of the old Admin Utility there are the options 'Share a single IP address', 'Share a range of IP addresses' or deactivate all of this by unchecking 'Distribute IP addresses'.
    This seems to be pretty much the same to me.

Just try it out, hope it helps. And remember, you have to do this on both, your old 'g' Extreme and your Express.

17. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

Airport utility wont work?

I have a solid internet connection but no file sharing capabilities. I can "see" the macbook pro from my hardwired windows desktops, and can send files to the mac from them. BUT I cant do any filesharing from the mac.
    I have internet access.
    I can use email.
    But when i try to use airport utility, it only looks for APPLE wireless devices. I have a dlink 655, "g". How can I try some of these settings if I cant access the airport utility?
    SHAring is setup correctly. I also am using wpa/2 no problem loggon on, except if I lose signal, the utility will be telling me that it cant logon while my browser is already full of "web". Im online and the airport utility doesnt seem to know it.
    A few days ago everyting was OK. I had icons for all of my windows HDs, all was OK, then I tried to sync and I also upgraded to 10.53, is this the problem? I also did firmware upgrade. Must I undo all of this, if so HOW?