Airport Internet Sharing problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stoid, Feb 21, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm home from college for the weekend, and so I can still get my work done without getting in everyone's way, my dad has enabled internet sharing from the Aiport Extreme card in his TiBook so that I can pick up the signal with the Aiport Extreme card in my AluBook. This has worked flawlessly in the past, but this time, it only lets me connect with iChat, and not into regular internet or mail. Since my laptop had been acting funny ever since the network went down out at college, I backed-up here, and did a totally fresh install of Jaguar. This has NOT solved the problem!! What is going on?!? Both computers have all the latest updates, running 10.3.2. Please help me!

stoid

2. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

As an added note everything works just fine if I plug my computer directly into the hub, but that requires that I unplug either my dad's or the family's computer. Is there some setting I'm missing?

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Note 2. My laptop won't share properly to his either. I.E. If plug in my laptop to the router, my dad's laptop responds to iChat, but not the web either.

4. raytube macrumors member

Hi,
    Is there any kind of firewall setting having an effect? It's also worth trying to see if you can connect to each machine using the 'connect to server' method rather than browsing the network. You'll need to know each other's IP addresses for that. I have found that machines don't show in the network browser sometimes but will happily connect using the IP address.

This doesn't explain the lack of internet connection though.

Cheers,

Rick

5. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Yeah, I did check the firewall, and I have both turned off. Also, I can do the connect to server thing, and even show up in the Panther network thing in the Finder.

6. raytube macrumors member

Hmm, I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem. I've used the same setup you're using myself and it's worked fine too.
    I would say it's some kind of TCP/IP settings issue as iChat uses Rendezvous. If you've checked all of the appropriate network settings etc then perhaps there's some other issue, has there been any changes to your internet connection since you last used it in this way?

Sorry not to have any more useful suggestions.

Rick

7. raytube macrumors member

Hi,
    Just a quick thought, have you tried it with the firewall switched on making sure the appropriate ports are active?

Rick