Airport Issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by engelhart, Jun 12, 2004.

1. engelhart macrumors member

May 23, 2004
    I got my brand new 17" powerbook the other day and am extremely happy with it.

The only minor problem seems to be the airport. I have full signal as my room is basically next to the wireless aerial for my modem and I am the only person using the wireless connection to the router.

The problem is, I only ever seem to get about 500k/sec transfer times, which seems more like b and not g transmission. I know for a fact that my wireless router supports g. When I set-up my connection, it just says airport in the set-up configuration and not airport extreme. Is the airport extreme always just described as airport or have apple for some reason just stuck a normal airport card into my powerbook?

I only really came across the problem because when I stream divx across my network to the powerbook, it keeps dropping frames, resulting in VLC refusing to play the file and quicktime skipping every ten seconds or so.

Any ideas?

2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    Go into system profiler and look at your airport card. Mine is described as Airport Extreme. If yours says Airport, you got the wrong card.......... :confused:
  3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    The original AirPort card is not compatible so you won't have the wrong card. It is a physically different shape so it wouldn't fit. Plus the fact that the 17" model (as in all powerbooks now) has it built in anyway.

Do you have any other computers on the network? If you have any on there that are accessing using an 802.11b card, everyone will drop to that speed, regardless of whether they are b or g.

However, both b and g are much faster than 500k so I can't see that being the limiting factor. Maybe your internet itself isn't quite fast enough.

EDIT: sorry didn't read you were the only one accessing. Must be the speed of the internet connection itself and nothing to do with AirPort then.