Airport, kernel panic, ibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by disconap, Jul 5, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

disconap

Anyone come across this? My Airport Extreme card in my G4 ibook just randomly started causing kernel panics. I was uploading stuff to our ftp server and the laptop crashed, and ever since it just won't boot with the airport card in, it reaches the Apple/Unix Circle screen, then has the kernel panic screen. In single user, it has the lovely "kernel panic, we're holding here" message once I exit. Any way to get it working again, or is the card just scrap?

EDIT: It boots fine without the card, though it has frozen once or twice (always during the boot, never in use).

2. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Have you tried pulling/reseating the card?

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Yup. Pulled it, laptop worked fine. Replaced/reseated, kernel panic.

I did an archive install of 10.3 as well. Didn't sort out anything. I'm going to try a blank install next, when I have time (probably tonight), but I don't see how it could help.

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you have a vanilla install and it's fine w/o the card and fubars with the card, then your only recourse is to hit an Apple Repair Center and get it replaced (if under warranty), or have a buy a new one.

Let's just hope it's not the connector on the logic board.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

It was something in the kernel, as a clean install and update cured it...

6. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Odd. Glad you got it worked out.

7. macrumors newbie

Airport, kernel panic, ibook

i believe this is due to the built in airport card on the 1.33 - 1.42 models overheating due to its placement next to the heat sink (less than a 1/4 inch). try running with the keyboard and metal plate off and a fan blowing on airport card.