Airport LAN (MAC/PC) problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by binderspink, Dec 10, 2005.

1. binderspink macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm new to OS X but have set up a Wireless network with Airport Express and all is well. However, when I try to connect to my LAN with my PC laptop it can see the network but cannot connect. I have encrypted the LAN with 128-bit WEP and then changed it to WPA but still no joy...
    I tried to remove the WEP encryption from the mac and it went ok but still the PC shows the network as encryption enabled.
    How do I completely remove the Airport Express?
    Which encryption is best for mac and PC over the same Airport?
    Also, how do I use M.A.C address encryption?

Somewhat long winded but I hope somebody out there can help...

Thanks, Chris

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Remove? From where? You mean change the encryption method (or remove encryption alltogether)? Use the Airpoty Admin Utility so set up your Aiport Express. It should be in /Applications/Utilities/
    Whatever your PC can handle. If it only handles WEP, you cannot use WPA. On the other hand: Using WEP is almost as bad as not using encryption at all, so WPA with a nice long non-dictionary password (16-20 characters) is the minimum.
    You mean MAC filtering? Again use the AirPort Admin Utility (on your Mac) and set the MAC addresses you want to allow to use the base under the tab Access Control.

3. binderspink thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking if I removed the Airport completely and starting again...
    Then again, I will have a look in airport utility. Is MAC filtering better than WAP/WEP?
    Will try now and get back in a few...
    Thanks

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have no idea what you mean by removing the AirPort completely... you mean physically...? :confused:

You can reset the AirPort Express, either by pressing the reset button or using, again, AirPort Admin Utility.
    MAC filtering is a way to tell the AirPort Express which computers (or rather network cards) that's allowed to use the base.

WEP and WPA are encryption methods to password protect the access to the base and encrypt all communication between the base and your computers.

A third protection method is to not broadcast the SSID, i.e. the networks name, this is done by checking the "Create a closed network" box in, you guessed it, AirPort Admin Utility. :)

5. binderspink thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant advice! Thanks very much.
    Just working through it all now but yes, I did mean remove the airport completely but don't need to now.
    Will get back to you in a bit but thank you for your time...
    Chris