Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guttmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Boston
Howdy all-
I've got a dsl connection that is connected to my Linksys 8 port router. From here, I have a few machines connected via Cat5 cable. I also have an Aiport connected to one port. The Airport is talking to a few more machines in the area.

The Linksys is giving out IPs of 198.xxx.xxx.xx while the Aiport is giving out 10.xxx.xxx.xxx

I'd like to have the IPs all in the same range so the wireless can talk to the wired, etc etc. Can someone help me out with this setup?

Thanks very much

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
guttmac said:
Howdy all-
I've got a dsl connection that is connected to my Linksys 8 port router. From here, I have a few machines connected via Cat5 cable. I also have an Aiport connected to one port. The Airport is talking to a few more machines in the area.

The Linksys is giving out IPs of 198.xxx.xxx.xx while the Aiport is giving out 10.xxx.xxx.xxx

I'd like to have the IPs all in the same range so the wireless can talk to the wired, etc etc. Can someone help me out with this setup?

Thanks very much

Not totally sure about the configuration, but you probably want to connect the airport base station to the modem, the router to the airport base station, and set upt he router so its not assigning IP addresses (I think that's possible). You essentially ahve two routers connected, when all you need is a hub connected tot he airport base station, so you'd probably want the router to act like a hub if its settings allow for that.

guttmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Boston
Ah good stuff. I had forgotten about the LAN port on the back of the Airport. I'll try this configuration later this evening when the network isnt in use.

Thanks very much!

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
the same method will work in reverse also, just unselect the "distrubute ip addresses" option on the airport admin utility. clients will get addresses from the linksys router and not the airport base.

ip-dist.jpg

This is the best method if you forward many ports to different systems, as an airport base can only have a few ports forwared (10 i think) whereas a linksys can forward ranges, which can cover 1000s of ip addresses at once.

Also this way you won't have to make any physical changes to your setup.

bye

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
N10248 said:
the same method will work in reverse also, just unselect the "distrubute ip addresses" option on the airport admin utility. clients will get addresses from the linksys router and not the airport base.

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of airports capability in regards to this, as I've never had the chance to use it (I use a netgear router and linksys ethernet adaptor) Good stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.