Airport & Linksys router

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macpoops, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I have a DSL Connection and was previously using a Linksys router to distribute the connection to my 2 PCs. Since then I have gotten my powerbook and airport station. I am having problems getting the router to communicate with the base station. Anyone have any ideas on getting it to work? I am using the Airport to operated the PPPoE on the DSL modem. I can plug either computer into the Base station and it works properly but when i plug in the router it just all goes to hell.

2. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

router+airport=hell

why do you need the router, the airport should provide that function, ie NAT?

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you need to connect more systems to the internet that are not wireless, then get a network switch.

I have my home network configured with a base station, switch, network printer and one goes online wired to the switch and my TiBook goes online via an airport card. I also use a DSL connection that uses PPPOE, which the base station handles without any issue, especially with the ethernet switch.

If the router is causing that much problem with your network, then take it out of the mix. Pick up an ethernet switch that has enough ports for you (I suggest getting one with at least one spare for future expansion).

4. Macpoops thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks but...

it would be just fine if i only had 1 computer that wasn't wireless but I have 2. Thats why i have the router. I'd like to be able to have access on both these PCs as they are not my but my Parents. THey are the ones complaining about having to change out the plugs everytime they want to use the computers.

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Re: Thanks but...

AlphaTech is right -- you need a network switch instead of your router. The Airport will provide all of the functionality of your previous router. The switch will connect to the LAN port of the Airport and allow you to connect multiple computers to the network through its multiple ports.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Pull the router and put a network switch in the mix... plug the peecee's into the switch as well as the LAN port on the Airport base station. THAT will allow you to connect ANY desktop without airport to the internet via the base station.:rolleyes:

7. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

all your basestation are belong to us

you can also use PCI cards which act as a wireless card carrier. Saw some yesterday here in Japan.

Alphatech, by switch do you mean hub, or does a hub not do the job? Could you plug the PCs into the hub, then the hub into the white basestations LAN port? I have a gray basestation, only one port. thus,
    dsl modem
    hub
    non airport iMac, rev1 basestation

another basestation question, does anyone know if I can check for log-in attempts on my basestation?

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

kansaigaijin, when I say switch, I MEAN switch, not a stinking hub. When you have computers connected to an ethernet hub, and transmit data to any of them, you are reduced to the computers connection speed divided by the number of systems also reduced by half. If you have five systems connected to a hub and transmit data to one of them, you max out at 10Mbps. With a SWITCH, you get full speed in both directions, and you are not reducing speed by the number of systems connected. So if you have a 10/100Mb swich with two systems at 100Mbps you get the 100Mbps (assuming your cards are set to full duplex which most are). Also, the hub treats networked printers/devices the same as computers. So if you have a NAS device and printer always on, then you start off at 1/4 speed no matter what (and it drops from there).

I had a graphite base station before (borrowed from work), that I had plugged into the switch. I had my DSL modem connected to the uplink port on the switch (8 port Netgear 10/100Mb model) and the base station plugged into one of the other free ports (had 7 to select from). I was then able to connect any device/computer to the switch and go online via high speed without issue. I eventually converted my printer to it's networked version (made it an Epson C80N) and placed that on the switch. When I get a Mac desktop in the future (sold my old G4 to help get the Harley) I will have no problem going online.

9. Macpoops thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, it's gonna set me back about 50 but if thats what i gotta do then so be it. If it's less of a headache for me i guess it's worth it

10. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

thanks for the explanation of the stinking switch

11. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

WAIT, YOU DONT NEED TO BY ANYTHING. Heres my setup, I have an asante cable/dsl router and i plugged the airport into that so I dont use the airport's NAT junk. I just set it as a bridge so all it does is make the connection wireless. The router still hands out the dhcp. gtg school l8r mna :)

12. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

the appropriate KB article

have a look at the Apple Knowledge base article #58597