AirPort loses connection after waking from sleep...?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by withnail, May 9, 2003.

1. withnail macrumors regular

I can't remember the exact chronology of this problem, but it happened sometime after I took my PowerBook on a trip and after I up'd to 10.2.5...

Everytime my computer wakes from sleep, it loses its connection to my wireless network after about 10 seconds. When it first wakes, I can see that the AirPort card has a signal and is connected to my network, and I can use Safari to browse, etc. Shortly after that, the connection is lost. I then have to click on the AirPort applet and manually connect to my network (I don't have to supply the password, just click the network name).

I *think* the problem started after I was using my PowerBook on a trip on someone else's WiFi, and before I upgraded to 10.2.5, but I'm not sure.

In my Network prefs, I have it set up to join that network after waking, and I guess technically it does - it subsequently loses the connection, though. It's not a signal thing, because I'm *right* next to the base, and the only time it ever drops is after waking...

Anyone know of a fix?

2. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Does the connection to the base station get lost, or is it the connection to the Internet?

And which PowerBook do you have?

3. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

I have the 15" PowerBook, and it seems that the network loses the *connection* but not the signal. It consistently loses it about 5 or 10 seconds after waking, but there is never a problem with reconnecting.

It's usually right next to the base, and I never had this problem until recently...

thanks

4. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have the AirPort Extreme Base Station and a 17-inch PowerBook, and I intermittently have problems with the Base Station's losing the connection. (The problem affects all my Macs, so I assume it's in the Base.)

I can't really help you, because my problem is a little different from yours, although I almost entirely solved the problems I had by messing with the settings in the AirPort Admin Utility. In my case, I had to change the frequency that the Base applied for a DHCP lease. Perhaps there's a setting in there that isn't quite right for your setup.

If anyone can suggest a specific solution to his problem, help us out, here.

Good luck to you.