Airport Management Utilities Won't Run?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Makosuke, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm seeing some oddball stuff showing up in WakeOnLan for my closed (WPA2) home Airport Extreme network, and I thought I'd check just to make sure it's extraneous and not somebody who's managed to connect (shouldn't be, particularly since there's an unprotected default "mywifi" somewhere nearby).

I turn up AirPort Management Utility as the way to go for both extracting log info from the base station without having to do remote logging, as well as some spiffy stuff with figuring out optimal placement based on the signal strength of several different computers. Seems like a really nifty app.

...except it won't run. Says I need AirPort 3.4 or higher, which of course I have (it's a brand new MBP, so it's running 4.2). The Client Monitor app that comes with it will at least launch, but doesn't do anything.

I'm guessing that they've changed something with the chipset or driver on the Intel Macs and haven't updated this utility to handle it yet (it's almost 2 years old and not Universal, of course).

Anybody else had luck with this thing? Any workarounds that I'm not thinking of?

2. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Well, partial workaround, anyway: My G5 is hardwired to the Base Station's Ethernet port, but apparently the Management Utility will run on it (same OS, albeit PPC version). I needed to add the Base Station manually by IP address, but it seemed to work fine then.

And, indeed, nobody here but us chickens, so to speak. Wonder what the weird stuff that WakeOnLan is finding is. Maybe a side effect of the Parallels network junk or something.