Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcharm

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2003
New York
Imagine being able to play music from your computer to your stereo system wirelessly (802.11). Apple needs to get rid of this last wire grounding my iBook from being truly mobile.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Possible...

Would you fork out the $200 (guessing the same cost as a basestation) to do this? Or how much is it worth to you?

If you put a harddrive, lineout and a cpu/memory to crunch MP3s in your Airport this would work as one package - but how many people have their Broadband/Phone line near the stereo set? And it would probably double the cost of the Airport - so no gain.

A slightly different device could do video as well - maybe when iTunes store rents/sells movies?

-Wyrm

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
It would make a lot more sense to be able to send the audio to the stereo itself, not through a lin out on the basestation.

You could also buy an early model iBook, put an airport card in it, line out to the stereo, take of the monitor, slide it into whatever space you need, and you're all set. Set up autologin, set iTunes up as a login item, and use iHam on iRye.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
sounds like this is a job for sony/technics/aiwa/harman-kardon, not apple. They ought to invest in rendevous/802.11. seems like usefull tech to anything wire heavy (home entertainment centers do come to mind). i wouldn't be surpised if Bose or HK came out with a yuppie package like this come xmas time.

bcharm

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2003
New York
Originally posted by trebblekicked
sounds like this is a job for sony/technics/aiwa/harman-kardon, not apple. They ought to invest in rendevous/802.11. seems like usefull tech to anything wire heavy (home entertainment centers do come to mind).

True. I suggested Apple because I think a wireless device that outputs sound from a computer would fit into their digital hub strategy. Picture sitting on your couch, opening up your Powerbook, and playing a DVD on it with surround sound from your home entertainment system. Or being able to play music on a stereo system from your iBook instead of the cruddy built-in speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.