Airport, Netgear Router (I JUST switched)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by WorshSean, Jul 5, 2003.

1. WorshSean macrumors newbie

Howdy everyone. I just recently bought a new 1GHz TiBook off eBay (my first mac) and it has yet to arrive. But I have a wireless Netgear 802.11b router up and running. Now this TiBook comes with an Airport card installed and I was wondering if I need to configure anything on it to connect to the wireless network I currently have running.

Thanks,
    SEAN

2. jazzman45 macrumors member

you shouldn't have to do anything more than if you had an Apple base station. 802.11x are standards, so they should all be happy together.

3. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

I also have the netgear router, and I am moving to a much more poopulated area than where I live now. What precautions should I take to protect the Wifi network?

4. jazzman45 macrumors member

personally, i don't care about security. unices are good for security. so far i have not used any encryption on a wireless connection and nothing weird has happened to me.

if you do want some sort of security, look for WEP settings in your manual and you can give your computer a unique 128-bit key. 128-bit is VERY secure.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Change the login and password from the defaults if you haven't already done it. Don't broadcast the SSID--that way somebody has to know your network is there, and they have to know it's name, to log on. Enable WEP and 128 bit encryption. That should make it about as secure as it'll get.