Airport Network Design Help...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rashdown_online, Jun 10, 2005.

1. rashdown_online macrumors member

Hi everyone.

I'm wanting to set up a network both WiFi & CAT5 in my humble house.

I used to have a Cable solution (Cable modem plugged into the WAN port on my base station) and it worked like a dream.

However, the area I'm now living in doesn't have Cable, so it's time to share my connection with up to 50 others ( :mad: ) and use xDSL.

The trouble is, I want the Base station to take care of routing (etc) so all I need is a xDSL MODEM (only) that has a suitable WAN outlet that can plug into the WAN port on the Base Station.

The reason I ask is that all of the devices I can find are combined modem/router and loads are becoming WiFi-AP/Modem/Router. I don't want to have Airport doing loads of routing AND the DSL device doing it too (I know it will be minimum but more element that can go wrong!).

How do others do it? What's the best solution?

Thanking all replys in advance.! :cool:

NOTE: Can 2 SSID's be put on an Airport base station? (It's for another solution I have in mind for a bigger little projcet for 2 VLans, private network (home office) and shared network (Home only)

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Buy an airport extreme it has two ethernet, one for the modem and the other for a cheap router to connect you desktops without using wi-fi (Cat 5 cabling).

If those products you are talking about support all those features it means it is built for handling those tasks.

The ports in the rear of the extreme

Attached Files:

3. rashdown_online thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that.

I've used the Airport (Snow) before, as you've suggested (WiFi + CAT5 LAN via LAN port on the base station to a 3Com hub/switch).

What I'm after is trying to identify a xDSL modem that will plug into the WAN port of the Base Station (this is an RJ45 connector). The Airport Extreme is to do all of the routing (and network services - DHCP/NAT/etc) and control WAN requests through the WAN port to the modem.

It's just that the VAST majority of xDSL modems I have seen, only have a USB port to connect to a standalone computer and no WAN RJ45 port (which would connect straight through to the WAN port on the Airport base station). All the other xDSL modems I have seen are also routers and or WiFi AP's too.

With Cable, it was easier. The cable modem was a modem ONLY and had a USB to plug into a standalone PC, AND a RJ45 to plug into the Airport base station.

The ideal solution is for Apple to to REPALCE the V.90 analogue modem with a xDSL modem, while still keeping the WAN port (for canle modem users). But hey...

4. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Most xDSL routers can be set just to pass through straight to another router.
    However, things like the Netgear DG632 are single port ethernet routers that will suit your needs.

(I'm doing exactly as you are planning with a solwise SAR-715 - an old 4port dsl router)

5. rashdown_online thread starter macrumors member

Nice! Cheers.

Q: Do you plug the ethernet port on the back of the modem/router to the WAN or LAN port on your Airport Base Station?

6. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

The WAN port would be the one (though I think the airport stations can figure it out - you can use both as LAN ports)

7. rashdown_online thread starter macrumors member

Nice.

Cheers.

8. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

Actually using cable the speed you get depends on the people conected to your node at the time, with the DSL you always get the speed (in theory ;) )

you can still get ADSL model only, you can also use the ADSL modem/router as a model only and use the airport for wifi, although it is redundant. The wifi part of intergrated ADSL wilress modem routers sometimes gets to hots and wifi drops for a bit, however the cable router part and the modem still work, using the airport may prevent this. However the easiest this is too get rid of the airport and just use an integrated wireless modem router and have less devices around. The airport looks cool but they should sell it with an ADSL model inside and another one with an Cable modem inside.