Airport network issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TitanJeff, Jan 9, 2007.

1. TitanJeff macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2004
    I've spent the last few minutes reading about network issues and the Intel macs running 10.4.8. This issue may be related but I'm not sure so I turn to here.

I have a wireless network at a local college. We have a number of students connected to it to print, access a server and the internet. Sometimes, a few of the students get a IP in use error when trying to connect and must shut down and reboot in order to connect. Sometimes no error message appears at all and they just can't connect.

Any ideas as to why certain laptops have issues? Any recommendations? It appears to be the same computers each time.

I had one new Intel today where rebooting never solved the issue. I assume it may have to do with the same errors others have had. Has Apple offered any solution I might pass along to this student?

Thanks for any help provided in advance.
  2. TitanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2004
    I wanted to give this another shot. Any suggestions appreciated.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Without knowing too much about your network, I think it may be a DNS Server issue. Instead of restarting the machine next time this happens, try pressing the Renew DHCP Lease button in the Network pane of System Preferences. While you're there, check the DNS Server settings with the other machines that are working normally. :)
  4. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    you are going to troubleshoot it. considering it a university, I am assuming you are using something like Cisco Aironet.

are they dropping connection the access point or is something going wrong between the dhcp server and the WAP? have you checked the logs of your dhcp server or the logs of a WAP if you are logging that?
  5. TitanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2004
    Many thanks for the replies. We are a small college with not much tech help. I'm working with the tech guy (who really only knows the PC) and is turning to me for mac help. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.
  6. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2005
    The town without George Bailey
    Are the PCs able to connect? There is a problem with airport and intel macs running 10.4.8.

I rolled back to 10.4.7, and it hasn't disconnected since. Uptime of about 12 days, sleeping the imac frequently.