Airport Network?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacBandit, Sep 23, 2002.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I'm considering using Airport to network 2 or 3 macs in my home.

Here's what I have.

New Dual Ghz/DDR airport ready. This machine is in the room with the cable modem.

iMac 333 not airport ready. This machine will be in another room too far and messy to run an ethernet cable.

B/W G3 400 not airport ready. This machine could be reached by ether net by drilling a small whole through a wall.

Here's my question can I use the software base station in 10.2 to transmit from my cable modem to the iMac w/base station? I want to have internet access at each of these computers along with a network. Can I use the base station basically like you would an Airport card simply for a transmitter and not the base station? I would not be using the base station with the cable modem because I do not want to pay to have the cable for the cable modem moved and reinstalled in the other room.

Hopefully someone will understand my question if not just tell me and I will try to explain again.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yes, you can setup the DP1GHz as the base station and distribute your connection from there.

Keep in mind that the base station machine will have to be on any time the other machines need to go online.

3. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

So connecting the iMac to the Airport basestation will allow it to access the network? I guess that's what you're saying I'm just looking for confirmation.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sorry, let's back up.

The DP1GHZ w/ Airport card can broadcast to other machines in the house.

The Airport Base Station can broadcast to other machines in the house.

The Airport Base Station cannot be used to receive an internet signal.

Sounds like you should get an Airport card for the iMac, and use the ABS for what it was intended.

5. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

The iMac 333 will not accept an Airport card(unfortunately). This is why I started this thread to find these things out before I spent the big dollars and got pissed off when it didn't work.

Hmm. Will have to find a different way then. Maybe a LinkSys. Though I would really rather have the Airport system. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That's my fault for not reading more carefully.

You can get a PCI card for the B&W...the iMac is stuck, not having any expansion slots.

7. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Will a LinkSys receiver communicate with Airport? They're both 802.11b and Airport is Wi-Fi compatible which means it's suppose to work with any of 802.11 products.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Any 802.11b WAP (wireless access point) should work with any 802.11b cards, and vice versa.

9. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Solution for iMac

First I was thinking of a USB wireless network adaptor. But, neither Linksys or D-Link make one for the Mac.

However, you could instead get a wireless access point. Basically, it is a wireless network connection. I do not know if it is compatible with an AirPort brand base station. I know both Linksys and D-Link make them.

10. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

i have a netgear wireless 4 port router (mr314) works great and was less than half the price of an airport ($137). THe signal strength is very good even on my Tibook.

For the imac you could try to get the usb pluggable wireless adapters that both linksys and netgear make but the problem would be in finding mac drivers for them. There was a place working on free beta version mac drivers for such devices but i can't remember where i saw it, DOH!! Search the web... i found it when i was researching wireless networking because i was offered a good deal on a netgear pc card(as in free) but i decided it was worth it to pay for the airport card and be assured of it working than F'in around with beta versions of untested mac drivers...

Otherwise you'll have to run an ethernet cable from the imac to the router.

11. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Thanks, to everyone with there input. If anyone else has something to add please do.