Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Well, since I'm all-laptop at my house, the wireless USB printing thing is REAL nice. Supposedly there are work-arounds you can get for that though, wireless print servers, sharing with a desktop machine etc. But a wireless print server will set you back quite a bit as well, so then you might as well have gotten the AE. I also like the idea that if I ever move somewhere without broadband I can still share a 56k (horror of horrors) signal. And the ability to add an antenna is also pretty nice as well. I struggled with this one for a while too, but in the end the wireless (and rendevous no less) printing sold me. The other things were just bonuses.

tyson12zoll

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2003
I use the linksys WRT54G.

I highly recommend it over the AP Extreme for most people.

I have a desktop that is always on and always hooked up to my printer, so printer sharing is just as good as an AP print server in my case.

I also like the built in 4 port switch on the linksys...don't need unnecessary cards for desktop computers that live next to the router anyway. Its also nice if someone wants to network with you and doesn't have a WiFi card.

Sure, there are a couple antenna upgrades out there for the AP base, but they are so overpriced its sickening. There is an overwhelming market for compatible antennas for the linksys routers. I have run across a few adapters for apples antenna port, but after considering everything, why spend 250 on a router when as low as 75 bucks buys you the WRT54G?

Ok, so I'm biased as they come — I've never set up an apple base station. I imagine however, that the linksys is more customizable. Apples solution is much prettier, and would look nice with a dr. bott antenna. Setup is likely easier as well. I've just had great experiences with setting up linksys routers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.