Airport not receiving when hot

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SIMON DOLAN, May 30, 2006.

1. SIMON DOLAN macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2005

I have a problem with my PWB G4 800. The computer stop to get the signal after about 10 minutes of use. Then I put the computer to sleep for about 15 minutes and I can go on internet for 10 minutes, then no signal.

I did a "Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)" from Apple site but it did'nt help.

Should I check the card connection inside? Should I clean my computer with compressed air?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah, I'd check the card's connection. You say this is related to heat. So, if you put your PowerBook in a well ventilated spot do you get a longer period of network activity? :)
  3. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    It's unlikely related to heat. But if it is, run it using the power cord and no batteries. do everything you can to eliminate heat, e.g. run a fan at it, turn the processor on low. if it still times out after 10 minutes, it's probably not heat.
  4. Nate4747 macrumors regular

May 7, 2006
    It is most likely not related to heat. I'd say it could be related to a loose antenna connector, or maybe even some type of outside interference. Do you have any devices that could be interfering? Also do you have any other WiFi enabled computers that might help you determine whether it might actually be your access point that is at fault?
  5. crush7 macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2001
    Germany, Heilbronn
    Airport losing connection

I've had an iMac G5 that showed exactly the same behavior: The Airport signal would decrease slowly after about 10 minutes or so. In my case, the airport card had to be replaced. By the way, the new card was supplied by Apple free of charge, although the computer was well out of warranty. They must have known that something was wrong with the card in the first place. After I had told them the part number, everything went surprisingly quick and hassle-free.