Airport Not Working right after Sleeping Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jkaz, Mar 18, 2007.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

Hello,

Every morning after my iMac has fallen asleep, I wake it up to check news/weather/etc.

At my office when I do this, I have immediate access to the internet.

At home, I do not get immediate access to the internet and I have to turn my iMac's airport off, then turn it on again and connect to my network before I get internet to work.

Both my office and home are connected to the internet through an airport.

Home (which works goofy) is on 10.4.8 and office is on 10.3.9 (which works fine)

Home is on airtunes, office on airport (extreme?)

Any tips so that my home works like my office after waking a sleeping Apple computer?

Thanks!!

jeff

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I"m having the same issues on an eMac (running 10.4.8). OH, that was with both a dLink & Belkin wireless router - you know, I haven't tried it since we got the Apple Extreme N one up and running. I'll have to do that today.

Anyway, the only other place i've seen it happening was on the Intel Macs (and it doesn't happen on my Intel machine).

Hopefully someone can chime in with something that helps - because my kids are tired of having to wait for me to log in to fix it for them :D

3. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

4. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Do you have to authenticate at the office?

It might be that the office network is not secured and your AirPort picks it right up. Whereas at home, you need to authenticate through WEP, WPA or WPA2 and it takes a little while.

On my MacBook, I need to wait a couple of seconds until I see the full antenna on the taskbar, then I know I'm connected. I don't have to toggle it on and off.

5. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

What exactly is your problem with the wireless?
    Is it trying to connect to a wireless network other than your preffered one?

Same thing for me, it allways takes a while to reconnect.

6. TWLreal macrumors 6502

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

For me - it never connects. I have it set to join Preferred nets, and the one we have is the top of the list.

When the Mac wakes up, nothing is selected - i could wait hours, and until I go up and select the SSID to join - it won't join.

This is a change from before my rebuild in December.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I fixed this problem on my iBook by simply going to the Network/AirPort pane of System Preferences and retyping the wireless access point's password there.

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Sigh.... i've had 3 routers in the last 3 weeks - each one configured multiple times. It's done it for both the dLinks & the Belkin.

I still haven't tested the Airport Extreme N - here is hoping that one "sticks"!

I'll remain optimistic that I can get it fixed.... and heck, maybe i'll put 10.4.9 on there sometime today if the kids let me on it!