Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Help please!!!!

this is a problem that seemingly developed from out of nowhere.

i have a mac, uptodate and new in every where, and a windows/xppro machine that is likewise.

i have an apple wireless network: extreme and express, wds, dsl to the extreme...

i get this error message on my mac when my pc tries to get on the wireless network. and then neither computer can access the internet.

when i disconnect the network from my pc, all is fine!

what happened!??!?! how can i fix this?!?!?!

PLEASE HELP!

thanks,
r.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 62

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Windows isn't taking the IP assignment via the Airport's DHCP server. Go through your network connections and make sure the PC is taking its IP from DHCP.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
It sounds like you have one of the computers set as a DHCP server. Normally the Airport would perform that function. If that is not it, then perhaps one of the computers is set to a static address that is within the IP range of the DHCP server.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
It sounds like you have one of the computers set as a DHCP server. Normally the Airport would perform that function. If that is not it, then perhaps one of the computers is set to a static address that is within the IP range of the DHCP server.

"Windows isn't taking the IP assignment via the Airport's DHCP server. Go through your network connections and make sure the PC is taking its IP from DHCP"

thank you for this advice, but... how do i check these things? static address of pc... if pc is set as dhcp server... if windows is taking ip assignment via airport dhcp server...?

thanks...

r.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
"Windows isn't taking the IP assignment via the Airport's DHCP server. Go through your network connections and make sure the PC is taking its IP from DHCP"

thank you for this advice, but... how do i check these things? static address of pc... if pc is set as dhcp server... if windows is taking ip assignment via airport dhcp server...?

thanks...

r.

Just go into Control Panel and the Network Connections. Select your wireless card, scroll down to TCP/IP in the list.. double-click that and make sure it's set up to receive it's connect via DHCP. Google is your friend too.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
thanks for your reply,

i i went to controlpanel/network/wireless connect change settings/tcpip properties/advanced and indeed it says DHCP enabled.

but how do i check to see if i have one of my computers set as a dhcp server?

or if that doesn't fix it, how do i make sure my computer's static ip address is not within the ip range of my dhcp server?

thanks for your patience, google searched haven't led me anywhere..

r.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
i looked online and nothing seemed to work.

two mac's on this network worked just fine. apparently, whenever my pc xp pro machine trys to get on i get the error message. when the pc is off, the mac is fine! very frustrating!

so if it is the pc machine, not the airport extreme, then what is a sure fire way of returning this computer to a default status?

what can i do!!!!!!!

please help, patience mucho apprecieated!

r.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Do you have Internet Connection sharing on?

I can't remember exactly where Windows hides all the internet stuff, but it's definitely the XP box. Check around in the Control Panels, you'll find it.

Good luck.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
well, finally i began to realize that it is the airport extreme, not the settings on any mac/windows machine.

got express in place of extreme and it all seems just fine.

so what was it about my airport extreme? default settings and repeated ip addresses, dropped connection...

do i have the latest firmware on it?

how can i diagnose this airport extreme? is it worth it taking it to an apple store?

thanks,
r.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Did you some how limit the Airport Extreme to only allow 2 connections?

The only way I can think of doing would just refuse to talk to the PC. Or vice versa, I don't think there's a way to limit the number of connections.

Richard. Check the firmware date against that supplied from Apple's support page.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
i finally figured it out.

i had to reset my dsl modem, and by reset i do not mean turning off/turning on. there is a reset button on the back of the speedstream modem i have from sbc yahoo. i reset the modem, called sbc yahoo, went to the modem page (192.xxx.x.x) and logged in using sbc yahoo account info. the lady on the phone instructed me to change the settings but they didn't work, the defualt reset settings worked. after that, no ip conflicts anywhere! i have a full blooded network again!

just replying with the solution in case anyone else suddenly gets this error message from their airport extreme and also uses sbc yahoo and perhaps a speedstream dsl modem...

r.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
i finally figured it out.

i had to reset my dsl modem, and by reset i do not mean turning off/turning on. there is a reset button on the back of the speedstream modem i have from sbc yahoo. i reset the modem, called sbc yahoo, went to the modem page (192.xxx.x.x) and logged in using sbc yahoo account info. the lady on the phone instructed me to change the settings but they didn't work, the defualt reset settings worked. after that, no ip conflicts anywhere! i have a full blooded network again!

just replying with the solution in case anyone else suddenly gets this error message from their airport extreme and also uses sbc yahoo and perhaps a speedstream dsl modem...

r.

Oh yeah, that's right. They made you change it to a bridged network? I hooked up a Airport Express and all was fine. Then all the sudden (weeks later) out of the blue the internet was totally dead. Something needed to be changed in the modem to handle the router. That being setting it to bridged. At least that's what I think it was called.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
have you gotten it worked out?
if not, do this:
System Preferences>Network>Show: Airport
unlock the lock, and under the TCP/IP tab, click on Renew DHCP Lease

it's not quite the router's fault. it's just that the 2 machines are trying to get the same IP address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.