airport or AE? That is the question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by andy74, May 27, 2004.

1. andy74 macrumors newbie

quick question gang. have a revision A powerbook, 12 inch that i want to get wireless. is this computer AE ready or just airport ready? don't want to buy the wrong card and all.

thanks
    andy

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I assume that's the 867MHz 12" Aluminium PB. It's Extreme ready just remove the battery and slot the AE card in, pretty simple.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i made the mistake of thinking airport and airport extreme cards were compatible. they aren't. (fortunately, i had a friend with a Ti who needed the airport card...)

for 12" PB, no matter the revision, you need the airport extreme card.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I think it may still be a valid question, even though he has to put an airport extreme card in the laptop, he doesn't have to buy an airport extreme basestation. If he's using wireless (for say a standard dsl line) isn't it likely that he'll see no difference between an airport and an airport extreme base station?

What are the odds he'll ever get 11mbs off a dsl or cable line?

File transfers amongst a home network is a different story.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yeah, absolutely. for the base station, it's a completely different matter and what you wrote is 100% correct. in fact, you don't even need the apple brand basestation at all...

i think for the card, i think you do need apple brand, if you want to use the internal antenna... (you can always use PCI slot but then the card would stick out...)

6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Why is it always so difficult for people to RTFM or look up the info from the source site?

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

...because we provide direct and mostly correct answers quickly and reliably, no matter how simple the question is? :p :cool: :D ;)

8. andy74 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks gang. i just wanted to make sure that i got the right card. airport extreme it is. i love the mac community, always willing to help a brother out with even a simple question and always throwing in more useful information to boot.

everyone that is, except fuzzyballs who regards any questions that can be answered anywhere else as a waste of time. but ya know what? i'm gonna forgive that condescending remark because that's what steve job's would want us to do. live in harmony and put up with each other, no matter how pretensious we come off.

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    darn tootin'

I've always found you guys more invaluable than the FM (if my acronyms are up to speed;))

Personally, to add weight to the answers, AE all the way. :D

10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Guess I spoke too soon.

As a matter of chance, I had my new Earthlink cable service installed today.. to my (happy) dismay, I'm averging right around 1900kBs... I went over to compUSA tonight and holy jesus AE basestations are expensive!

Didn't I see a link somewhere on these boards for a cheap AEBS?

11. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Regarding the comment to "RTFM", most Mac users don't RTFM because the Mac IS so intuitive. The fact that the answers are so easy to come by elsewhere has little bearing on the issue. :p

12. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

For reading pleasure...

my PB uses AE and i have a belkin router. The wireless router is only 802.11b instead of g, but for internet use it makes no difference because internet doesn't go that fast. For wireless home networking it would make a difference however.

I paid about $50 for it as opposed to $200+ for a apple basestation. I was told by an apple store person i believe that if you are planning on hooking a PC into the network that the apple basestation sometimes has problems with that so some other wireless router would be better to go with.

Anyways, thats just a little info to help you make a decision.