airport or airport extreme

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by john forester, May 3, 2003.

1. john forester macrumors newbie

May 3, 2003
    cambridge (sabbatic), ithaca
    Can anyone give me advice about opting for airport or airport extreme if i have a 15" powerbook (whose card capacity apparently won't let me take advantage of AE's higher speeds)?
    thanks, jf :confused:
  2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    It's easy. If you plan on getting a computer that can utilize Airport Extreme, might as well get the AE base station now. If not, then the regular Airport is all you'll ever need.
  3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    If your not getting a AE capable computer, just get a 802.11b router from best buy or somewhere. Dlink makes one you can find for 80 bucks and it works like a charm with airport.
  4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    AE basestations are cheaper then Airport basestations ever were. Yeah you can get a wireless router for cheaper but the Apple ones are soooooooooo easy to configure. Not to say the other ones are cause they aren't. The airport ones can be done by a blindfolded monkey.
  5. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    $200 is very expensive for a router whose benefit you're not even going to get. You can get a wireless router for well under $100. Here's an excellent D-Link model that I'm currently using, currently selling for $85:

The admin is really easy, it's just web based. And for the typical cable modem setup like I have, you won't even have to change any settings. I haven't seen the AirPort interface since I don't have one, and I'm sure it's easy, but the difference in price between $85 and $199 is only worth it if you were actually getting the 5x faster speed of Airport Extreme, in my opinion.